FIRST TIME COMPACT LOGIX & Red Lion USER

g.robert

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all.
I am preparing documentation / DWG for my first compact logix project. I am having several problems.

1. Do I have to use the AB power supply (IE: 1769-PB4) or can I use any generic din mount power supply and wire the 24 VDC?

2. I cannot locate any of the 1769-L35E or 1769 I/O modules in the AB drawings library. Any ideas where I can get some CAD blocks on the compact logix I/O?

3. AB specified the 500VA UPS # 1609-U500NS as a din mount UPS for my application. I was able to find a DWG on that at AB. This thing is huge. I really don't need more than 100VA IMO. Any reasonable din mount 100 watt UPS options?

4. I will use a Red Lion G310S000 (first time user)for the HMI. Will that HMI support ethernet communication to the compact logix or will I need to comm via RS-232?

1. You must use the AB power supply for the Processor. It mounts physically interlocking w/ the processor & IO.

Thanks. This means I'll need a 2nd 24 VDC for my HMI (50 watts).

Any ideas where I can locate some 1769 I/O DWG?

g.robert said:
3. AB specified the 500VA UPS # 1609-U500NS as a din mount UPS for my application. I was able to find a DWG on that at AB. This thing is huge. I really don't need more than 100VA IMO. Any reasonable din mount 100 watt UPS options?

Siemens do some nice 24Vdc UPS supplies

g.robert said:
4. I will use a Red Lion G310S000 (first time user)for the HMI. Will that HMI support ethernet communication to the compact logix or will I need to comm via RS-232?

The G310 supports Ethernet comms to the compact logix platform, including native tag addressing where you can import your tag list over from logix5000 to Crimson 2.

Last edited:
Go to ab.com
Click on products
Choose shop
Click on configure product
Nail down the IO modules you want
The links for the drawings will be provided.

Thanks guys. I found a neat little trick to get some quick blocks into my Auto Cad drawing as AB does not have any of the compact logix items in DWG format.

I copied the scaled layout that was shown in the catalog into paintbrush. I was then able to insert then resize to match scale so I ended up with a neat little picture in the dwg showing panel PLClayout.

Yes they do have them...IIRC, .dwg, .dxf, .wmf?? I've used them on a project recently, but unfortunately, I won't be able to help you until Monday.

Two options for finding your drawings:

1) OPTION 1 Select the "Build A Catalog Number" option, enter your cat no, then follow the links. However, for some reason, it fails whenever I put in any 1769 numbers...

2) OPTION 2 This one does work. To get to the CompactLogix, I selected Programmable Controllers > Programmable Automation Controllers > 1768/1769 CompactLogix System. Let it load up the JAVA tool, select your product(s), then click on the drawings tab. Select the format you want -- .dwg, .dxf, .pdf, .wmf.

It looks like not all of the modules have drawings available (e.g. 1769-OW16 does not, but the 'IA16 does.) Even though not all of them are there, it will certainly work fine for a panel layout -- the dimensions are all the same.