Compact Logix and Maple Systems HMI

BMX1253

Hope everyone has had a good weekend.

I have been setting myself some practice lessons since I have switched facilities at our company. We are a large Japanese company, and at our Main plant facility, we use Keyence and Mitsubishi PLC’s on the regular. We had one area that had an Allen Bradley Control Logix that we never had to mess with it on my shift. I had become pretty good with Keyence and was learning Mitsubishi when they offered me a transfer and a promotion, now the facility I am at is all Allen Bradley.

I have a spare Compact Logix L23E that I have been practicing with going online with. I am pretty decent with Maple Systems HMI’s, I have used them in a few machines at our other facilities. I am using a 5056N with Serial communications to the AB.

The current task that I have set myself is making the Compact Logix communicate with the HMI, I have made the RS232 cable according to Maple Systems diagram, and wired all of the components up and made a little trainer. I am not too familiar with Allen Bradley, so if my questions seem elementary, I am sorry. I don’t have much support as I am learning this on my own, in my spare time at home, and down time at work.

The question I have is Mapping RSLogix 5000 tags. The way the manual from Maple Systems describes it, it refers to register data in a data file? Looks like the style used in 500, B3:0.00 and N7:0. I am not familiar with this mapping and how it works. I looked up some other forum posts and tried what they did, but I must be missing something. It’s been a week of “PLC NO RESPONSE” I am confused and slightly frustrated. I don’t know if I am masking them wrong in the PLC, or if I am in putting them into the HMI wrong. I have attached both the RSLogix file and the Maple Systems file (in the zip folder) if anyone with knowledge of it can direct me to what I am doing wrong, also the Maple Systems to Compact Logix document.

Try This I changed communication protocol to CompactLogix Free Tags. This allows import from AB program Tags.CSV file. The reason your getting PLC NO RESPONSE is the tag used in Maple System is not in PLC.

Good Luck with your project and Welcome to the Forum.

Thank you for the welcome, and the quick reply.

I opened what you sent, and took a look around, I did see where you changed the PLC type to the Free Tags (serial) and I was confused for a minute where you got the CSV file, then I looked through the help file in 5000, and found that you have to export it, it's not in a defined location. When I did that I was able to add the "HMI_PB" to the button to the page. It shows up, just as it is written in the PLC. When I downloaded it I still got the PLC No Response error.

When I tried to compile and load what you sent the first time, it gave me 2 errors, with the "Local:1:I.Data.0" for some reason it shows up as tag "Local:1:I.Fault.0" I looked at the CSV file in Excel, and I did not see where it came up with "Fault" instead of "Data" That part confused me. The only thing that I can think of is that in the PDF it says “Tags that are to be mapped to ‘bits’ must be created as integer arrays (an array of 16-bit
integers)” and the Embedded I/O points are read as DINT showing 32 points. (I’m confused) haha

I have also been reading through the PDF many times as you can imagine, and I noticed that you did not have to do any of the mappings that it is talking about. Does that have something to do with the fact that we are using the Free Tags instead of the Compact/Control/Flexlogix protocol?

I was unable to test. I don't use serial communication. We have 5150X w/ Ethernet and Control Logix Processors. You may need to verify your Communication Port Setup on the PLC itself. There are other members here that use Maple Systems more often than I. Maybe one of those will chime in. Also don't hesitate to contact Maple Systems They are very good with customer support.

Same Problem

Hi,
I have the same problem, but no more information in this forum ! How about your last treatment ?
Best Regards,
Trung Phi