You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old February 16th, 2017, 09:08 AM   #1
Cluser
Poland

SLC 5\05 - ETH/IP communication

Hello,

how can I make a connection to ETH/IP device on SLC 5\05 processor?
I know that there is EEM instruction, but unfortunatelly there isn't much information about it.

I've made the connection to this device on CLX processor with Generic Module and parameters like on screen bellow and it worked.
http://imgur.com/Qdmgwa1

Is there any solution to make this connection on SLC 5\05 basing on parameters that I've used on CLX processor?
So far I've tried to do it by this way (with read assembly and write assembly option):
http://imgur.com/OFa2frK
But it didn't work.
Have anyone tried to do something simillar?

Regards

Last edited by Cluser; February 16th, 2017 at 09:14 AM.
Old February 17th, 2017, 05:36 AM   #2
Cluser
Poland

Am I right, that Generic Module in CLX provides implicit communication and EEM in SLC explicit one? And if my device uses implicit communication it won't work on SLC? Maybe that's the reason why it doesn't work.
Old February 17th, 2017, 11:10 AM   #3
Ken Roach
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

You're correct; the EEM instruction is the EtherNet/IP Explicit Message in the SLC-5/05. It's functionally similar to the MSG instruction in the ControlLogix, and sends a non-cyclic explicit message to a CIP object.

The SLC-5/05 and MicroLogix 1100/1400 controllers cannot establish implicit I/O style connections to any device over EtherNet/IP.

They can read and write Assembly Objects, but that's not the same as establishing a cyclic I/O connection even though it accesses similar data.
Old February 17th, 2017, 03:11 PM   #4
Cluser
Poland

I'd rather like to know that it is possible somehow, but it seems that it is hardware limitation. Maybe there is any third party module that allows us to do it?
Thank you very much for your answer ; )
Old February 17th, 2017, 06:05 PM   #5
Ken Roach
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

Only ControlLogix and CompactLogix family controllers can do implicit I/O connections over EtherNet/IP.

There really isn't a market for a third party module to add I/O scanning to the older controller architecture, since there are modern controllers that support that feature, even for modestly sized control systems.

If the device supports a different Ethernet protocol, like Modbus/TCP, there may be another way to communicate with it from the SLC-5/05, like the MVI46-MNET module from ProSoft.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum