Factory View Studio ME 5.0 and XP SP3

DaveW

Well I made a mistake and install version 5.0 onto an XP Pro SP3 machine. It appears I can open existing 5.0 applications but not the older 4.0 applications. Trying to be clever I open the 4.0 application in another machine with View Studio 5.0/XP SP2 installed and export/archive the application thinking that it is now a good 5.0 application. I then deleted the existing application in the SP3 machine and restore the new 5.0 application. For whatever reason, this didn't work either. The problem I'm running into is that if I open any graphic screen, View Studio would hang for about 5 seconds and then crash. I don't have any problem viewing RSLinx Enterprise, parameters, alarms configurations. Any ideas beside uninstalling or waiting for updates that will support SP3?

DaveW said:
Well I made a mistake and install version 5.0 onto an XP Pro SP3 machine. It appears I can open existing 5.0 applications but not the older 4.0 applications. Trying to be clever I open the 4.0 application in another machine with View Studio 5.0/XP SP2 installed and export/archive the application thinking that it is now a good 5.0 application. I then deleted the existing application in the SP3 machine and restore the new 5.0 application. For whatever reason, this didn't work either. The problem I'm running into is that if I open any graphic screen, View Studio would hang for about 5 seconds and then crash. I don't have any problem viewing RSLinx Enterprise, parameters, alarms configurations. Any ideas beside uninstalling or waiting for updates that will support SP3?

I have SP3 on mine with no issues. I think most issues such as this occur when CPR7 stuff is still on a laptop and CPR9 stuff is installed. I have two laptops, both Dells, with XP Pro SP3. The first, a Vostro had CPR7, then upgarded to CPR9. All apps now take forever to launch. I picked up a new Dell latitude D830 with XP SP3, installed nothing but CPR9 and all apps launch fast. I think the issue is residual CPR7 stuff left behind

The last thing I heard from Rockwell (few months ago) was that Rockwell's official stance is they do not support SP3. Apparently they can even refuse tech support if you have SP3 installed. Anyone know anything different? We just turned off windows automatic updates and stayed with SP2 to be on the safe side.

Regards,

Justin

curlyandshemp said:
I have SP3 on mine with no issues. I think most issues such as this occur when CPR7 stuff is still on a laptop and CPR9 stuff is installed. I have two laptops, both Dells, with XP Pro SP3. The first, a Vostro had CPR7, then upgarded to CPR9. All apps now take forever to launch. I picked up a new Dell latitude D830 with XP SP3, installed nothing but CPR9 and all apps launch fast. I think the issue is residual CPR7 stuff left behind

I think you're right. I tried quite a few combination of uninstall and install to make everything CPR9 and finally got it to work by first uninstalling every AB software packages and them reinstalling them one by one with CPR9. What a nightmare!

Most software appears to load quickly. I've had a problem with Studio taking a long time to load since version 4. First few applications I worked on were no problem but somewhere along the line it takes what looks like a full minute to load an application. Maybe it's looking for an online cpu's, clx files, I don't know but yes, it's irritating.