Connect to a panelview via VNC, to an internal network

splintertje

Hello everybody,

I want to connect with my Panelview via VNC so I can control the Panelview remotely. But the problem is, it is in a private internal network.

I have attached an image of the connection tree. When I try to connect to the Panelview with the IP-address 172.16.6.26, see attached file, it is not a problem, because it is in the same network.

But I want to connect to the Panelview with the address 192.168.1.2, see attached file. So my question is, is this possible? Because for example it is possible to upload a runtime without any problem.

Also all the examples i can find on the internet are examples in the same network.

I have nothing to say about IP addresses, we get them assigned from our IT department.

So i hope you can help me!

Example.jpg

It looks like the only physical connection between the two networks is your ControlLogix rack. VNC protocol cannot route through a ControlLogix rack. Only Rockwell's CIP protocols such as EthernetIP can pass through a controlLogix rack, which is what your runtime download is using.

You can either:
install a second panelview in the corporate network.
physically bridge the plant network to the corporate network, and have IT set up rules allowing only VNC protocol to the network, possibly including NAT.
Walk to the panelview whenever you want to access it.
Connect your laptop to the plant network whenever you want access to it. You could possibly extend the plant network into the office, with physically secured connection points. This will still provide physical isolation between the two networks.

For either option, you will need to look at the security implications.

Hi all!

Thanks for the reply. Today I have installed a 1783-NATR from Allen Bradley. The Panelview and the PLC is showing in Rslinx with the translated IP-address. If I try to connect I still get an error message. I use the tight VNC program. The error says: can't connect because the target device don't accept the connection. (error is translated from dutch)

Did I need to chance a setting in the 1783-NATR? Tomorrow I will check the IP and the settings in the Panelview again.

Attached to this post a screen of my Rslinx with the Panelview, PLC and the 1783-NATR.

Kind regards

Example2.jpg

If you can ping the panelview from your PC, you *SHOULD* be able access it. I don't believe the 1783-NATR has any kindof firewall that may be blocking the VNC ports.

I have had problems with the tightvnc viewer giving me similar errors and not connecting to non-tightvnc servers. You may want to try a different VNC clients, such as UltraVNC.

I have downloaded UltraVNC, it also give me an error. It just says: failed to connect to server. I have pinged the IP address and it responds! So it should be working. Later this day I will go check the settings again in the Panelview. Also I will check if it is possible to connect when I'm connected to the private network itself.

Thanks for your reply! But luckily I know how to use google. I have already tried to connect to a panelview directly and it works, using this article.

Kind regards

If you have not enables the VNC viewer in the "Services" tab of the windows CE environment you will need to do so.

Also remember to set the permission level in the server configuration.

Then if you can ping it, again, it **SHOULD** work!

Well, I have connected to the internal network, in the same switch as the PLC and the Panelview are connected with. Using the internal IP-addresses. Then TightVNC and UltraVNC are connecting without any problem! I can remotely view and control the Panelview.

Then I have connected to the same switch as where the 1783-NATR is connected with. I try to connect with the translated IP addresses. I get the same error... So it looks like the 1783-NATR is blocking the connection somehow.

Well, I have connected to the internal network, in the same switch as the PLC and the Panelview are connected with. Using the internal IP-addresses. Then TightVNC and UltraVNC are connecting without any problem! I can remotely view and control the Panelview.

Then I have connected to the same switch as where the 1783-NATR is connected with. I try to connect with the translated IP addresses. I get the same error... So it looks like the 1783-NATR is blocking the connection somehow.

Well it works! In the settings from the 1783-NATR, I have to set a costum rule on port 5900. Thank you all for helping me!

Custom Rules - not mentioned in the manual

To create a custom rule you need to select a NAT Rule from the list, then the 'Custom Rules' button will no longer be grayed out.
As mentioned previously, each device can have up to 5 rules.

1783-NATR Custom Rules.jpg