Postgresql in WinCC Flexible Panel

userxyz

Hello,

Question about database on a Panel PC..

I had a weird question from a customer, but it's a customer so I have to check if it is possible. However I can't find anything about this.

So I allready made connections from WinCC Flexible to an SQL Server.

Okay, we have the question from our customer to write alarms to a Postgresql. From the panel (PC), is it possible to connect to a other database than SQL Server ?

All discriptions of Siemens about the connection to a database is about SQL Server. (via VBScripting). However, this goes via ODBC... Postgresql can also talk via ODBC ?

I don't know anything about Postgresql, the question is, can a Siemens WinCC Flexible Advanced connect to such database as easy as to an SQL database ?

Thank you,
Kind regards,
C

Last edited:
OPC server is easy, but it also requires an OPC client to actually get the data where you want it. There are lots of middleware options to do this, but now you've added two pieces of software to the mix.

If the SQL application is just a little bit important, then I would definitely go for a canned solution rather than fiddle with VBS in WinCC Flexible. I have attempted the do-it-yourself VBS code to SQL, and have been burnt.

The problem is not to get it to work 99% of the time.
The problem is to get it to work 99.999% of the time, and the remaining 0.001% of the time the error handling must be able to catch errors in a way so that the endcustomer can pinpoint and fix the problem by himself.

For a nice-to-have application, then it could be OK to make ones own VBS code.

If you have any question about SQL4automation, how to integrate it into your PLC or how to establish your first database connection, just ask me. With SQL4automation you can connect different PLC brands to all SQL databases, that have an ODBC interface. We support Allen Bradley, Siemens S7, CODESYS V2 and V3, Beckhoff TwinCAT V2 and V3, B&R, Sigmatek and Robot controllers like KUKA, ABB or Stäubli. More infos on www.sql4automation.com.