Remote rack/ IO Scanner or 1771-Swing Arm

Frinehart

All,

I have a question, which would be most effective setting up an old PLC5 rack as an I/O scanner or replacing it with a swing arm system for a control logix conversion? I know the swing arm is not cost effective for my situation currently but it is defiantly the faster option from what I have read so far.

Thank you

Personally, I'd just put a new ControlLogix rack in place of the 5 rack. Better communications, and probably cheaper the first time you have to replace a PLC 5 card.

It all depends..........................

What modules have you got on your 1771 rack?
How much wiring is there to changeover?

We did the rack conversion kit for two racks, as both had a raft of 32 channel digital modules. It was much faster as a changeover, but they do stick out a fair bit - we had to have the new rack on top of some panel trunking as it was longer than the 1771 rack.

One point was missed in that digital output converters have 4 Littelfuse fuses in them. We managed to pop a couple of them, and are they a Rockwell part? NO... finally found them from Farnell.....