VMware and Tia portal

treellama

I've had a lot of problems with Tia Portal pegging cpu usage at 100% in my VMware machine. It got so bad that I instanced a fresh VM with windows 7 and installed only Tia Portal V15, but I continue to have the same problems. I've updated to the most recent service pack.

I run VM's for other software and haven't experienced the same issues. Does anyone have suggestions of settings to tweak to get it to work better? I'm just doing PLC / startdrive config

I have a windows 10 host, windows 7 pro VM
VM settings:
8GB ram
1 processor core
Intel VT-x enabled
110GB hard drive space
network adapter in bridged mode

Thanks!

I have:
16 GB RAM (out of 32 GB on the host).
4 cores (out of 8 cores on the host).
250 GB HD (out of 1 TB SSD on the host).

Runs reasonably well.

8 GB sounds as too little.
SSD disk makes a big difference. Dont even try with a regular spinning HD !

This is not a direct solution for your problem but it can be intresting hearing my specs i run my TIA VM session on:

Host: Windows 7SP1 Pro

VM: Windows 7SP1 Pro
9.5GB ram
2 processor cores
Virtualization engine : Automatic.
Hard disk: 120GB

I have no problem with the CPU usage while working in the VM-session.

//V

I've had a lot of problems with Tia Portal pegging cpu usage at 100% in my VMware machine. It got so bad that I instanced a fresh VM with windows 7 and installed only Tia Portal V15, but I continue to have the same problems. I've updated to the most recent service pack.

I run VM's for other software and haven't experienced the same issues. Does anyone have suggestions of settings to tweak to get it to work better? I'm just doing PLC / startdrive config

I have a windows 10 host, windows 7 pro VM
VM settings:
8GB ram
1 processor core
Intel VT-x enabled
110GB hard drive space
network adapter in bridged mode

Thanks!

Your system is similar to mine which I know is *not* very good but I tried both VMware and VirtualBox and found the latter to perform better with my limited resources.

Last edited:
I use Tia 14 and 15 in VMs. I use virtualbox and vmware exsi. Both work fine.

You really need atleast 2(I prefer 4) cores or more allocated to the VM, don't starve the host though. 8GB should be more than enough ram, add more if using simulator. Again leave enough for the host.

Put the VM on a SSD drive or a drive that isn't used for the operating system. Huge difference.
Make sure virtual extensions are enabled in bios.
Don't run virus scanner on the VM folders.

I can run TIA portal, simulator and visual studio all in the same VM. And I am using 6 to 10 year old computers and servers to run this on with 3 monitors.

Last edited:
I think my patience should be commended... I run a copy of V15 with about 4G RAM and one core.
Yes, it is slow, but usable. Although PLC Simulation is impossible and I suspect running HMI's too.

Thanks everyone! I switched to 2 cores today and it made a huge difference. Highly recommend. I kept the ram at 8, because I haven't approached that limit yet in task manager.

Next time I switch hard drives, I'll switch to an SSD. I use one for my host OS, but my VM's run from a second internal drive.