Wide-range speed control (VFD, etc.)

phuz

I need some help trying to pick a motor and controller (possibly VFD) for a winder application. It is going to use a foot-pedal input to control speed but the troubling part of this is the wide range of speed that they will run, which is 1-55rpm. We'll obviously need to incorporate a gearbox to get our motor to that range, but using an AC motor with a VFD means that we would have to run this at 1Hz some of the time, which would produce a bunch of heat. What are some other options out there (preferably AB) that wouldn't produce that kind of heat when running that slow?

With that wide of a speed range, you'll likely want a closed loop drive anyway. So, if it's small, a Servo Motor and drive would likely be cheaper and be TENV, so it doesn't much care what speed its running. If it's larger, just get a TEBC vector motor...

I think your low end hz will be determined by the gearbox ratio you use. 60 to 1 seems like it should bring you to between 20-30 Hz

I don't see the problem there
I have motors running at 0.5 hz and lower all the way to 120 hz on a standard vector duty motor.
I have motors running at 0 rpm holding full load no problem
Some Marathon 1800 rpm motor can be run at 5000 rpm right out of the box it's right on the name plate. I have had other motors high speed balances to over 7000 rpm.
I had one I inherited the vfd was running at 300hz output I calculated the motor speed at about 20,000 rpm
It's all in the selection of the drive and motor
I normally use Yaskawa Drives with Marathon Motors ever seen any problems
If you need help with a specific application pm me

I don't see the problem there
I have motors running at 0.5 hz and lower all the way to 120 hz on a standard vector duty motor.
I have motors running at 0 rpm holding full load no problem
Some Marathon 1800 rpm motor can be run at 5000 rpm right out of the box it's right on the name plate. I have had other motors high speed balances to over 7000 rpm.
I had one I inherited the vfd was running at 300hz output I calculated the motor speed at about 20,000 rpm
It's all in the selection of the drive and motor
I normally use Yaskawa Drives with Marathon Motors ever seen any problems
If you need help with a specific application pm me

+1 For the Marathon Motors. Any of their "BlackMax" series should work, they have 1000:1 constant torque range.

For example the Y535:Datasheet

+1 For the Marathon Motors. Any of their "BlackMax" series should work, they have 1000:1 constant torque range.

For example the Y535:Datasheet

+2 for BlackMax.

I've used them, driven by Indramat (I mean Bosch-Rexroth) servo drives, in "third party motor mode", with super success.

the pedal should have a log scale and not a linear one, this will improve the control.
as it is only 55 rpm you will need a gear box to get a better control.
so the control would be from 1 Hz up to 60 giving a speed from 1 to 60 rpm. even stall is not a big problem as long as you define the current correct.