HMI Information

Blown99

Does any know of an HMI software that runs on a PC?

I would like to create the equivalent of an HMI in a PC window and be able to view live data from RSLogix 5000/CompactLogix system on a PC.

Currently we use Maple Systems HMI's on the manufacturing floor, but will like to monitor the status of the floor from a PC.

Thanks in advance.

Second Ignition

While Ignition does suffer from some capacity / throughput issues as you build larger systems, it is great for small to medium size things.

And if you are ok with restarting every two hours, the demo is no cost.

AdvancedHMI. Unlimited free for the basic stuff, additional control widgets are cheap AFAICT; you need to code in Visual Basic, but it seemed pretty solid to me.

I did a simulator and put it on Github; it was straightforward, again at least to me.

I like the cost of the AdvancedHMI.

I only need the basic because I only want to see one meter totalizer and about 15 valve positions, Open/Closed

And only one or maybe two PC viewing at a time.

Will this software do that much?

I like the cost of the AdvancedHMI.

I only need the basic because I only want to see one meter totalizer and about 15 valve positions, Open/Closed

And only one or maybe two PC viewing at a time.

Will this software do that much?

Easily. For just viewing there is pretty much no coding involved, although you will have to shave the yak a bit with the Visual Studio install if you do not have it on a system (Express is the freebie, IIRC).

FactoryTalk view ME station, will run on a pc an will be quite a bit cheaper than SE. I’m not advocating it, there is nothing wrong with it, but there are many pc based hmi applications. The main advantage the the ME station as it’s the same mer file that you would use on a touch panel HMI. If you know how to develop in FtView there is nothing new to learn.

AdvancedHMI is rock solid, there is a learning curve and its a bit more open (which I like)

They have state of the art support, you will be flying in no time :)

+1 for Advanced HMI.

Archie was great with answering questions I had and with what your looking to do you should be up and running in no time.

Currently this is a closed ip network for PLC's. There is one machine that has access to both business network and PLC net. It has 2 NIC's. This PC is also the PC that runs RSLogix and Historian.

I am always reluctant in installing additional software on the same machine that is critical in the scheme of things. Could Advanced HMI be installed on the same machine or should I install an additional computer and proceed from there?

At this point, I am looking to setup a PC based HMI that I can add I/O point to so the viewer can see at a glance the current "Overall" status of the manufacturing process. Not control anything, just view.

Thanks again for all the input.

You could use AdvancedHMI to program an application on one PC that doesn't have to be that central machine, and then transfer (install) only the .exe file (along with any DLLs) to a target HMI machine, whether the target HMI machine is that existing central PC, or a new PC perhaps even the PC on which you develop the application.

If there was physical space, I would probably go with developing the app on a new PC on the closed network, to avoid ever interfering with existing RSLogix or Historian operations. That said, I don't know all the constraints of your site, and there is plenty of flexibility as described above, so it is really up to you to decide how to deploy the app. From a practical standpoint there is no real difference in how it operates.

I think the only limitation would be the number of logical network connections to the PLC(s).

Last edited:
Since I am not familiar with this application, I have a question.

What is the layout of this AdvancedHMI system?

A server style environment that other clients can connect to and get updated information.
or
Is the software only viewable on the machine that it is running on and has direct access to the PLC?

Sorry to have so many questions, but I have never used this S/W before and don't want to spend time learning and setup just to find out it cannot do what I need.

Thanks