Trouble uploading from CLX

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Good morning all. I am trying to upload from Contrologix that has Studio 5k v21.03. I am using Windows 10. I am able to download to the processor however, it will not allow me to upload. The last person to use it was using Windows 7 via vmware, I don't know if that makes any difference or not. I do not have a tech connect agreement with AB, is why I haven't searched there. Thank you in advance.

Version 21.03 was a unique version. It requires that you have that exact revision on your PC. So if you have 21.00 and the other person is using 21.03 you will run into issues. There was a similar issue with version 20 but they came out with a workaround. They never did for version 21. (there is not a 21.04) In all other versions, the minor revision was not important.

If the other person and you are not both using 21.03 then any time one of you downloads to the controller, the other won't be able to connect.

Rockwell's web site has a big warning message alerting people to this potential compatibility issue, but people just don't pay attention to that warning. You need to make sure that you are both using the same revision of 21. Running from a VM is not an issue. Many here use VMs.

Too clarify....you'll notice I used the terms version and revision. For 21.03, 21 would be the version, and .03 is the revision.

OG

Last edited:
If the CPU supports v21 it is newer than the L6x series and can be upgraded.

It might be a good suggestion to change the project CPU to version 26, flash the CPU and use 26. If you can download v26 and install it.

That will also let you get some newer features in Studio5000

If the CPU supports v21 it is newer than the L6x series and can be upgraded.

It might be a good suggestion to change the project CPU to version 26, flash the CPU and use 26. If you can download v26 and install it.

That will also let you get some newer features in Studio5000

Any reason for 26 specifically? Why not just 32/33?

Here's the catch though......it may not be the controller.

Let's say I have 21.03 and you have 21.0 and the controller is 21.011 (latest).

If I download an application OR just go online to the controller, I have effectively locked you out. My 21.03 will prevent you from connecting even though you had no issues before I went online. That was my first experience with the 21.03 issue. I was at a customer site that was using that revision while I was using 21.00. I had just downloaded a modified program to their controller. They went online from their PC and I was locked out. No one touched the firmware. All they did was go online from 21.03.

OG

Last edited: