Connecting to Red Lion HMI through VSP

Mark.

Hello Gents,

After a few years reading on this site I’m now placing my firs own question hire.

I have a Red Lion G310C000 HMI and using Crimson 2.0 to program it.
Both serial RS232 ports don’t react anymore, but the RS422/485 and Ethernet port works fine.

So now i must choose between the Mitsubishi FX2N or the Siemens S7 315-2DP and using the Helmholtz (SSW7-HMI) MPI-bus adaptor and a RS232-485 converter to connect to the last real serial port on the HMI.

Now i was thinking, could it be possible to use a VSP (virtual serial port) and connect it on the HMI over Ethernet?

Code:
current situation:
  ____
 /    \
| FX2N |-----------RS422------         ___     ______     __
 \____/                       \       /   \   /      \   /  \
or______                      RS4..--| HMI |-| router |-| PC |
 /      \   ____   _________  /       \___/   \______/   \__/
| S7 315 |-|[U]SSW7[/U]|-|[U]RS232-485[/U]|- 
 \______/

desirable situation:
  ____                               ___
 /    \                             /   \    ______     ____
| FX2N |---------------------RS422-|     |  /      \   / PC \
 \____/                            | HMI |-| router |-|--|   | 
                                   |     |  \______/  |  |   |
  ______                            \___/             | VSP  |
 /      \   ____                                      |  |   |
| S7 315 |-|[U]SSW7[/U]|------------RS232--------------------|--|   |
 \______/                                              \____/
I try the following thing in Crimson - Communications:
driver selection, Manufacture "system" and Driver "Virtual Serial Port Version 1.0", Share Port = Yes, TCP Port = 23.

Manual configured the Ethernet port
IP address 192.168.23.10
Network Mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.23.0
(programming/updating the HMI works fine), IP Routing = Enabled, IP Download = Enabled, Port Number = 23.

IP address router = 192.168.23.1.
IP address pc = 192.168.23.2.

I'm running VSP software from: http://www.eterlogic.com/Products.VSPE.html
Configured a TCPclient, Remote TCP host = 192.168.23.10 Remote TCP port = 23 and Source serial port = COM1 9600,8,1,N.

But this doesn’t work.
Have someone any idea watt i do wrong or is this not passible at all?

I think you actually want VSPE to behave as a Server, not as a Client.

The Red Lion display will try to connect to the PC over TCP Port 23 (Telnet) and VSPE will accept that connection and bridge between the physical RS-232 port and the TCP connection.

You might want to try a different TCP Port; Telnet might require simple login or encryption, as opposed to allowing a raw TCP connection.

I’ve set VSPE to work as a Server.
The status is "READY" (ready to make a connection) instead of "OK" (have a connection).
Also changed the TCP number for the serial communication from 23 to 4000.
But with no success.

Maybe the screenshots:
Crimson2: Programming Port
Crimson2: Comms Port
Crimson2: PLC
Crimson2: Ethernet
Crimson2: Link Options
PC: serial port config
VSPE: TcpServer selection
VSPE: TcpServer config
VSPE: TcpServer running
give some clues to solve my problem.

Thanks for thinking with me.

Last edited:
heip.

two ideas:

1. you can define t "ethernet: protocol 1" as modbus TCP/IP slave, that way you're able to place hmi's internal tags in a virtual plc's register map. another device working as a master may now be able to read those registers.

2. if you want t hmi to be t master, define "ethernet:protocol 1" as modbus TCP/IP master or modbus encapsulated master. that way (encapsulated..) has worked for me to read devices conected to t intranet.

a third -unsophisticated- idea would be to purchase an RS2327485 option card.

hope it was helpful.