Toshiba EX100 Programming Access Help

Okay... I submitted a quote request to Mouser Electronics. I copied the part numbers off of the BOM that Daleroe put up in the PDF file: "parts.pdf". I doubled the parts in case I make a mistake or I decide to build two units.
QUESTIONS:
1. IS THERE A PICTURE OF WHAT HE BUILT?
2. WHAT KIND OF CIRCUIT BOARD DID HE USE?
3. DID HE PUT IT IN AN ENCLOSURE?

I build stuff like this before and when I know it works I like to put it in a plastic project box style of enclosure.

TIA :)

I uploaded one of the Toshiba models of this adapter as an example...

EX25GP232A_TIC2_eBay_Set_UK_002.jpg

Csts_232cl9r_ex100_proto_type_001

Here is a picture of my first proto-type. When the rack gets here I'll try it without the 232 LED TESTER connected.

CSTS_232CL9R_EX100_PROTO_TYPE.jpg

REPLY FROM BnB and SCHEMATIC of 232CL9R

REPLY FROM BnB:
To: Byron Sanders
As far as the chips used inside of the 232CL9R, Attached is a schematic of the 232CL9R

Our converter, if acting as an Active Current loop source is looking for +12VDC to connect to the resistor network, to create the 20mA.

Sincerely,
Peter Fitzpatrick
Technical Support Representative
[email protected]
815 433-5100 Ext. 261
Hours 7am to 5:30 pm Central Standard Time
Try our new Tech Support Knowledge Base!
http://support.bb-elec.com/?cid=14629

Based on the schematic.pdf in post 63, do not use or connect anything to the PLC GND (A1,B1) or the PLC +5 (A2,B2) pins. Also, based on the .pdf in post 63, the BnB converter requires an external +12vdc and ground connection from an external power source.

Thanks for the Update...

Based on the schematic.pdf in post 63, do not use or connect anything to the PLC GND (A1,B1) or the PLC +5 (A2,B2) pins. Also, based on the .pdf in post 63, the BnB converter requires an external +12vdc and ground connection from an external power source.

I think I see your point. If I understand the schematic... if I apply +12 VDC on the bottom terminals it looks to me like it would treat the PU11A PORT as INACTIVE, but on the other hand if the PU11A PORT is in fact ACTIVE it still appears the other side of the board- that is the DB9 SIDE- needs power to communicate to the serial port.

When the rack gets here I'm going to try it as is without my inline 232 LED tester, and if that does not work then try the 12VDC power to the converter and I will NOT add any more wires from the PU11A PORT, namely the GND and the +5VDC ... I'll let you know the results. If you get a light bulb moment feel free to share it ;-)

By the way... are there ANY pictures or diagrams of the actual board that "Daleroe" built? In the BOM for Mouser Electronics I don't see a bread board (or whatever you call it.. the perforated green thing...) on the list. I'm one of those guys that uses more pictures and drawings then text... I still count with my fingers ;-/

Last edited:
After further thought, I will suggest if it fails to work after trying what I recommended in post 64, it should be ok to connect just the GND (A1,B1) from the PLC port to the GND on the BnB converter. I still think that it might not work because I don't have 1st hand working knowledge of both the PLC port and the BnB converter. I stand behind my best advice is to build one and It appears that you are pursuing that plan also as a backup solution. I dont know if Daleroe made any actual pictures of his handmade unit. Perhaps you might send him a Private message. If that doesn't work, I will search my old records to see if I have any other contact info.

Last edited:
No Go yet...

After further thought, I will suggest if it fails to work after trying what I recommended in post 64, it should be ok to connect just the GND (A1,B1) from the PLC port to the GND on the BnB converter. I still think that it might not work because I don't have 1st hand working knowledge of both the PLC port and the BnB converter. I stand behind my best advice is to build one and It appears that you are pursuing that plan also as a backup solution. I dont know if Daleroe made any actual pictures of his handmade unit. Perhaps you might send him a Private message. If that doesn't work, I will search my old records to see if I have any other contact info.

Thanks jrwb4gbm for all the tips. I tried the A1,B1 connection just now, still no dice. The unit came with a DAP100 so I know the COM PORT is good. It goes from steady red LED to blinking immediately when I plug in the DP100 unit.

I was going to PM Daleroe... the last time he was online here was January 13th 2013 (ironically my birthday) I don't know if those stats are when we last logged on, or participated. I'll go ahead and send a message right now.

I sent the PM to Daleroe... here's what I said:
Greetings Daleroe... if you get this please respond if you can. I was looking for pictures of your completed DIY EX25GP232A-TIC unit for the Toshiba EX100 PLC- PU11A CPU. I tried the BnB 232CL9R Current Loop Converter and cannot get it to work- various configurations. I have a factory cable coming from England about July 1-8 from an eBay seller. I thought I might go ahead and order the parts from Mouser Electronics and build a DIY like you did. I submitted a list to them online today for P&A.
[email protected]

UPDATE...
1. I ordered the parts from Mouser Electronics enough for mistakes and to make two units
2. The EX25GP232A-TIC2 cable is leaving England, should be here between 07.01 and 07.08
3. So far the BnB 232CL9R is not working... tried about 12 different ways to connect it
4. I know my test rack is good, can connect with my DP100 unit... gets COM right away
5. Discovered: CURRENT LOOP IS TTY; SIEMENS S5 IS TTY; THEREFORE SIEMENS S5 IS CURRENT LOOP... what does that mean? I don't know. I have a S5 cable... can't find any one on the internet via Google that has connected to a Toshiba EX100 PU11A Program Port with an S5 CABLE... (I know, LONG SHOT)

INTERESTING: Cutler Hammer D100, by Toshiba, used a "EX2040CNV232" RS232 TO TTL Cable converter / adapter. Toshiba played with several types of COM methods I guess. Did the PLC companies in the beginning think they could corner the market by using proprietary methods of COM ? Or what ? I like the newer brands that give the software away, free tech support and a USB Printer cable... or a simple 232 with pinout available and you can build your own. What a novel idea.

So... what is TTL versus TTY ? I have dejavu on this for some reason...

I think I have discovered some of the problems why the BnB device is being so difficult to adapt. If they had used +5vdc instead of +12vdc, that would have helped. Also, using their device, I can see a need to jumper the PLC port connector A2,B2 to B4 to their +12vdc terminal which would be equivalent to the direct +5vdc connection on the DIY. On the BnB device there is also a need to jumper their +12RES terminal to the +12 terminal where an external power source would be connected. Then, maybe a jumper from RES1 to R1+. Next, a jumper from the R- to the T+ on the PLC port. This is similar to a portion of figure 3 of the drawing 232cl9r_BnB_schematic.pdf. Also A4 needed to jumper to A1,B1 of the PLC port.

I realize that the word description is confusing. This might not be the whole answer or 100% correct since I don't have either the BnB device or PLC available to test.

Thanks JRW for the input. I am documenting right now what I have tried and will incorporate your suggestions as well. I already did some of what you mentioned above. I'll post my Visio documentation as PDF when I finish... Thanks!
I'm still curious about the Siemens S5 cable...

HalleluYAH!!! Praise YAH and Thank You JRW!!!

With ALL of YOUR help Mr. JRW!!! I got 'er done!!!
All the particulars are in the PDF: "TOSHIBA_EX100_DIY_TTY_CSTS-001.pdf"
And of course it is TOO BIG to upload here...
So... a link will be my next post!!

TOSHIBA_EX100_DIY_TTY_CSTS-001.jpg

TOSHIBA_EX100_DIY_TTY_CSTS-001.pdf download

Here is the link:
http://www.cstservices.net/toshiba/TOSHIBA_EX100_DIY_TTY_CSTS-001.pdf

Pictures, diagrams, explanations for the DIY-TTY EX25GP232A-TIC2 replacement using a BnB 232CL9R modified for 5 VDC- Port powered by the Toshiba EX-100 PLC CPU: PU11A or PU12 Fujitsu 8 PIN port.

HalleluYAH and
Thank You JRW!!!

Now I can go on the service call tomorrow and fix the machine ;-)
I've got parts coming to make 2 of the DIY model by Dale Roe and an original coming from England in early July.

:nodi:(y)

Files for historical archives

LINKS FOR FILES:

My DIY-TTY with modified BnB 232CL9R unit:
http://www.cstservices.net/toshiba/TOSHIBA_EX100_DIY_TTY_CSTS-001.pdf

Sing Madden with Toshiba Houston came through!!! TWO ORIGINAL SCANNED HAND DRAWINGS!!! This is HISTORY and a KEEP SAKE!!! Thank You Sing Madden!!!
http://www.cstservices.net/toshiba/Original_Scans_EX25GP232A-TIC2_Sing_Madden_TIC_Houston.pdf

Email record of conversations with Sing Madden in PDF:
http://www.cstservices.net/toshiba/TIC_Houston_Sing_Madden_Emails_EX25GP232A-TIC.pdf

(y)(y)(y)