Poor VMWare Performance

Dravik, I have a i7-4810MQ processor. 4 core, 8 thread. Would you recommend I drop to 2 processors for each VM then?

I changed the Process scheduling as suggested. Does this basically idle down the VM not currently selected? As an example, I may download a program on 1 vm, While working on the other. Does the downloading VM slow down?

I just shut off the PCI express power link. I will give all of this a try and see how it does.

Thanks again for the help
Kenneth

Well, 4 is probably overkill for each VM, So yes.

It puts the VM that isn't in active use(or both of them) into a lower priority state, they won't go completely idle however. So a download would continue for example, it just wouldn't take priority over the tasks you are running the foreground.

Not sure if original issue is was resolved but I received the following email this morning. Hopefully it will help someone in the future.

Rockwell Software running slowly on DELL Computer Problem
RSLogix or Studio 5000 is taking a long time to open. It is taking about 10 to 15 minutes, but when using my other computer it takes less than a minute; what is going on?
Environment

• RSLogix / Studio 5000
  • FactoryTalk View SE or ME
  • Other Rockwell software
  • DELL Computer
Cause
Intel SpeedStep technology or Enhanced Intel SpeedStep technology (EIST). EIST technology dynamically changes your CPU speed based on your computer's current circumstances.

For example, in one case the laptop was in a docking station and was not using the properly rated power supply, which caused the EIST to slow the CPU to the slowest possible setting. The performance hit was not immediately realized by the user until trying to open a VMware virtual machine to run RSLogix 5000 or other CPU intensive software. Re-running the "Windows experience index" revealed that there was something wrong with the graphics and CPU on the PC.
Solution
If using a Dell Precision M4800 (or any Dell Laptop), verify that you are using the correct power supply and that you have disabled EIST in BIOS. You can access your BIOS while the computer is booting, usually by pressing one of the Function keys (F2 for example). For more information on accessing the BIOS, refer to http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN114872/EN or contact your local IT department for assistance. The BIOS key can be different based on the computer manufacture or even the model of the computer.

Very useful info!
I've been recently working in the field and I noticed it took forever for RSLogix 5000 to load on VMWare. Now I remember I was using my laptop on battery early in the morning, when I used to load RSLogix 5000.
Now, at the office with the laptop connected to the charger, RSLogix 5000 started in a couple minutes.

Thank you!

I wanted to share this experience.
I just changed a new VMWare configuration from 4 cores down to 1 core, and the time to load Studio 5000 was reduced dramatically.

I wanted to share this experience.
I just changed a new VMWare configuration from 4 cores down to 1 core, and the time to load Studio 5000 was reduced dramatically.
Now that's a follow up!

I only use 1 core in my VMs; never had problems.
But now I use VirtualBox, and I love that.

I also had a lot of performance trouble with the VMs in Oracle VirtualBox. After a lot of web searches and trial & error I settled on the attached settings; for a Windows 10 host and Intel i5 processor.

The biggest change came from the acceleration settings:
Legacy paravirtualization
Enable VT-x/AMD-v
Enable nested paging

VirtualBoxSettings1.png VirtualBoxSettings2.png VirtualBoxSettings3.png

I use virtualbox,so far so good
o.png