RS5000 data tracking

tim@niagara

I am trying to create a log for the data during a Clean In Place. I need to keep track of the water temperature and TDS over the period of 900 seconds sampled every 10 seconds at 2 different points of the process.
Then I can transfer compiled data to a spreadsheet.
The issue I have is how to compile this data without the need for writing 360 moves. Is there a way to move them in to an array similar to a bit register? The data points I will be tracking are REAL. Then to top it off I need to 0 all 360 points Before the next CIP runs.
Any suggested will most certainly be appreciated/ tried.

I agree with trends, also you really should timestamp this data too, which can be done in the PLC but starts to get a bit messy. Is there an HMI/SCADA on this system too?

Unfourtunatly I don't think that is going to work. There are some simpler tags that I am going to need to be recorded as well and they want all the data points recordable for safe work practises. Also I am not always there to record them. nor is my computer. I need something that anybody can just open and save.

There is an HMI but it is over loaded with processes. We have a 45 screen Factory talk that is currently useing all 45 screens

At a very minimum, you should probably invest into a chart recorder to record the critical data...temp, flow, conductivity, time. It generates a paper record and very obvious if the CIP performed properly. Hopefully you already have this.

If you want data available, you have to do it the right way. Need a historian of some sort so you can get the tag information, proper time stamps and generate a report (or export the data as needed). The right way costs money, but if this is truly for "safe work practices" it shouldn't take much justification. Personally say get Ignition and start collecting data. You'll get much better results if you invest some money into a proper solution rather than hacking PLC code to do a mediocre job of it.

External Data Collection is certainly the way to go, you can have backup regimes with redundant data collectors etc. etc.

In the meantime, and for times when "external data collection is offline due to server maintenance".... pick the bones out of this I put together in the last hour... of course it may need a tweak or two in places, but the ideas are contained within.

It's untested, but should work ok.

I've never used this feature, but the RedLion Datastation is capable of data logging...

Collection:
With its built-in data logger, the DSP offers a powerful means for recording continuous data as well as events and alarms. Data can be acquired from any or all connected devices and compiled into a single CSV-formatted file, where it can be stored, displayed, emailed or automatically synchronized with an FTP or Microsoft SQL server.

I've never used this feature, but the RedLion Datastation is capable of data logging...

Very nearly all HMI/SCADA systems are capable of datalogging by themselves, and network servers can run any number of applications to collect, digest, and store data for logging, but that functionality will require a continuous connection to the controller...

Do you really want to shut your whole plant down simply because the IT people have some network infrastructure changes to make, bringing the network down for several hours.

I think it far better that the PLC or controller keeps its own logs, which external servers can "upload" or query at preset intervals.... if anything goes wrong, the data can simply be read again...

Then to top it off I need to 0 all 360 points Before the next CIP runs.

If you use an array for your 360 points then you can use the fill command (FLL) to move 0 into all 360 points with 1 instruction.

As for datalogging, you could use advancedHMI (free) to lift the values and insert into excel, access, or SQL.

AdvancedHMI is a pretty easy way to get the values from the PLC. I think there is an excel sample here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/advancedhmi/files/advancedhmi/3.5/SampleProjects/

Alternatively I could help you get the data out and into a CSV via Python. Though I'll admit that AdvancedHMI is probably better for most people that would end up doing it.

Refer you back to my post #9

I firmly believe that the PLC should collate the data, as much as its memory will allow, so that it can be digested as and when.... no need for a permanent connection to the PLC.

I think that's what you might have inferred in your second paragraph "I could help you get the data out and into a CSV via Python" - the data has to have been stored in order to retrieve it.

Refer you back to my post #9

I firmly believe that the PLC should collate the data, as much as its memory will allow, so that it can be digested as and when.... no need for a permanent connection to the PLC.

I think that's what you might have inferred in your second paragraph "I could help you get the data out and into a CSV via Python" - the data has to have been stored in order to retrieve it.

I don't disagree at all. I was imagining what you were getting at, the data is stored in the plc somewhere and either advanced hmi or Python would grab the data out and save it.

Neither one would be actively logging, just pulling the data out whenever the op wanted. Of course with could activately log it the op insisted but I agree with you, let the plc do the work

Last edited:
If you make a tag like Record and set it as DINT[900] it will expand as Record[0] - Record[900]. The numeric in the tag can be set as an address such as a counter. So you can make a timer counter or add instruction to change the address every 10 seconds, And have a move instruction to send your temp readout to Record[Counter.ACC]