OT: Are control systems stuck in the 90s

This mindset is what keeps control systems feeling like they are "stuck in the 90s". You can make the argument that basic HMIs replace buttons on panels, but saying that for SCADA systems....I don't think so.

Ok, maybe my point focused more on HMI than SCADA in that regard.
But my point stands that SCADA dont need the flashy graphics. Operators need a clean un-clutted easy to read interface that tells them that the process is working just by a glance at the screen.

And then along comes the customer wanting all the bells and whistles! LOL

Operators need a clean un-clutted easy to read interface that tells them that the process is working just by a glance at the screen.

Completely agree with this point, however proper GUI designs aren't a consideration to most Controls Engineers. Unfortunately most of what I see are high contrast, non-intuitive designs which make it feel like the 1990's (some exceptions of course). If a Controls Engineer somehow doesn't see that a blue background w/red text isn't easy on the eyes, or that 10 different colors all of which are flashing on an 8" HMI isn't begging someone to have a seizure; well it doesn't matter the technology they are using.

My point, it's 2016 and anyone building an HMI/SCADA system should get some training/reference material on how to build a good, clean GUI on a modern platform. This alone would help to squash the dated feel of many control systems.

Completely agree with this point, however proper GUI designs aren't a consideration to most Controls Engineers. Unfortunately most of what I see are high contrast, non-intuitive designs which make it feel like the 1990's (some exceptions of course). If a Controls Engineer somehow doesn't see that a blue background w/red text isn't easy on the eyes, or that 10 different colors all of which are flashing on an 8" HMI isn't begging someone to have a seizure; well it doesn't matter the technology they are using.

My point, it's 2016 and anyone building an HMI/SCADA system should get some training/reference material on how to build a good, clean GUI on a modern platform. This alone would help to squash the dated feel of many control systems.

What the industry needs is to start hiring graphic/UI designers to design/create the HMI/SCADA systems, instead of leaving engineers whose main priority is to just get things running.

Won't happen until customers demand it, though.

Time and money put a man on the moon.

I believe my first calculator (TX 1100) had more computing power than the first manned rocket (Apollo 11) that made it all the way to the moon

And yet our multi-functional ( Giga billions byte, speed-o-light) PLC/HMI/SCADA are limited by our own imaginations.

My lap top can Write a word doc on speech recognition, my phone can dial up my family by me telling it to. Siri can find anything for me (mine's a bit of a smart a$$) Pretty sure if we can get out of the monopolizing industry, they would make simpler, easier to use, MORE INTUITIVE programming platforms. They are so slow to move forward because they can't sell it to the masses. Look they could if they wanted to, there's just no money in it.

Imagine Siri tell the operator to close the safety gate and press start, Or the maintenance tech to change the blown fuse.

Now wouldn't that be something.

Imagine Siri tell the operator to close the safety gate and press start, Or the maintenance tech to change the blown fuse.
Many years ago when I was working as an applications person for a PLC distributor one of our suppliers came out with a control engine that could be programmed like that. Essentially you created verbs to represent the control functions, for example, a Logix OTE instruction could be called "Turn On". This line of code

Jog Manual
Button Mode Motor
--] [--------] [------------( )-

could be written as, "While someone pushes the jog button in manual mode, turn on the motor."
When I did a demo for an engineer at one of my customers, his comment was, "Whatever you do, don't show this to my boss. He'll think he can write control code!"

My HMIs already tell the operator to close the safety gate and press start. or the maintenance tech to change the blown fuse. And it doesn't require them to be able to hear anything on the noisy shop floor or for their phone to be on or actually connected to a network or cell phone tower while in a giant steel cage of a building that blocks most reception.

You mention that your first calculator had more computing power than the Apollo 11. But that Apollo 11 computer was reliable, even if not very powerful. There's something to be said about reliability of a system. If only my iPhone were as stable and reliable as the ControlLogix system that's been running non stop for the past 15 years on our main line.

Won't happen until customers demand it, though.

"A lot of times, people don’t know what they want until you show it to them." - Steve Jobs

Granted, I don't think it warrants a full-time graphic designer per-say, but certainly some outside consulting would be very valuable.

Tharon, well said.

I guess my point was that in 20 years, they were able to make the same computing power fit into a calculator, that if I can talk to my phone, and it can answer me, then why can't the giants of the PLC industry move forward as well. It was a glancing blow to OP's original statement of being stuck in the 90's.

These things that were complicated were made very simple, ONLY because there was alot of money to be made selling to the masses.

PLC's could be made to be simpler, there is just not as much money to be made in revolutionizing a standing, well made, long lasting product. Difficult and expensive to replace too.

AB put alot of money in making there products hearty and long lasting, no argument.They are as smart and intuitive as the person who programmed it. And as limited.

They'er making alot more by teaching people how to use them, and getting their products into every aspect of manufacturing and processing.

In the late eighties, AB put millions making sure that close to 90 percent of the colleges and universities in the US had an AB platform to train on. Gave them away. Brilliant!!!!

As a result, everyone else ( Siemens, Schneider, Idec, and hundreds more) have been chasing them down. All of them the same......but different. Consequently everyone is trying to cut a niche in the market, very few are trying to revolutionize it.

It was a high light as to why thing aren't changing.

An interesting insight. Thank you for the feed back.

Tharon, well said.

I guess my point was that in 20 years, they were able to make the same computing power fit into a calculator, that if I can talk to my phone, and it can answer me, then why can't the giants of the PLC industry move forward as well. It was a glancing blow to OP's original statement of being stuck in the 90's.

These things that were complicated were made very simple, ONLY because there was alot of money to be made selling to the masses.

PLC's could be made to be simpler, there is just not as much money to be made in revolutionizing a standing, well made, long lasting product. Difficult and expensive to replace too.

As a result, everyone else ( Siemens, Schneider, Idec, and hundreds more) have been chasing them down. All of them the same......but different. Consequently everyone is trying to cut a niche in the market, very few are trying to revolutionize it.

It was a high light as to why thing aren't changing.

An interesting insight. Thank you for the feed back.

John,

What does the move forward look like? How do we tell who is revolutionizing, and who is cutting a niche? Someone replied to another of my posts wth a Steve Jobs quote, and I think it's really relevant here: "A lot of times, people don’t know what they want until you show it to them." The other side of that coin though, is that sometimes people don't want what is better for them, they want what they already have.

What revolution do we want? "Easier to use" is relative. "Innovative" doesn't mean much to me if it doesn't solve a problem I have.

Take a company like Bedrock. They redesign a lot of things from the ground up: magnetic backplane, claims of security up the wazoo. I know plenty of engineers that are curious about it, but we aren't INTERESTED. The product doesn't fit the paradigm we are used to, and so we semi politely chuckle and ignore it.

Many vendors have introduced PC based systems. Our industry as a whole ignores them, because PC security is a pain (which is true) and that doesn't really help solve any of our core problems. We can use more modern programming languages, but people complain that they are too complicated.

We're an industry where 50% of the people spending money long for the simple good ol' days of relay logic with physical relays. That's one of the biggest reasons we don't see much change.

We all complain about slow, bloated new software in one breath, and then complain that they didn't add enough features in teh next breath.

Sometimes it just takes a long time to do things the right way. Standards organization bureaucracy isn't the best example of progress, but the High Performance HMI standard has been moving forward for years. Same thing with Time Sensitive Networking on the the communications end.

I would say that the giants of the industry HAVE moved forward. We have Ethernet replacing serial connections. PLCs are much faster and have way more memory than ever before. You're right, that for the most part these are evolutionary changes, not revolutionary. But I think we're also just not adopting a lot of the new features and platforms. THat doesn't mean we're wrong for liking the products we have now. It doesn't mean that our complaints about the newest features are invalid. It just means it isn't as simple as "just go innovate!"

I'm not saying I know what the answer is. For my part, I'm a big fan of a lot of features that have traditionally been used more in the DCS space. We're seeing a lot of those concepts moving into separated PLC/HMI systems. I'd love it if someone found a way to make programming even simpler, but the trick is making it simple without removing capability. Dunno if it can be done.

Last edited:
I was designing clean informative touch screens years ago. Then I was told 'grey is not a colour' - 'where are the rotating fans' - 'the generator is running why is there not some smoke from the exhaust' - 'the heater is on - I would prefer to see heat running through it than just a light' - and on it goes.
Finished up generally using a blue background these days with white text, coloured headers with stand out coloured text - everyone is happy.
There is no accounting for what people want. Just give it to them and make it as sensible as you can.
There are a few 'good graphical design' sets around the web - I show them to customers and that is not what they want.

I remember a SCADA system I did for a power station and they wanted all the rotating fans, heat running, water running - you name it. The people who ran the place left and a new chap came in - an older, practical chap.
First thing he said was 'what is all this ****?' As he said the only thing that was relevant for running the power station was accurate figures and good reports. He was right of course.

Curious thought, but does anyone see your PLC code?

If I look at PLC code from 20 years ago and compare it with today's code, there are huge improvements. Objects, tag structures, motion, code re-use, etc. they all have advanced a lot. But who sees that?

It's really easy to see the HMI and, in a way, how it was coded. And if that looks like it did 20 years ago it seems dated (even if the entire system is advanced).

Not to let the top vendors off the hook (for repacking old software, year after year) but...

Is it us OEMs and SIs? Are we making systems look/work like they did 20 years ago?

What does the move forward look like? How do we tell who is revolutionizing, and who is cutting a niche?
sometimes people don't want what is better for them, they want what they already have.

In the late eighties, AB put millions making sure that close to 90 percent of the colleges and universities in the US had an AB platform to train on. Gave them away. Brilliant!!!!

See Under Armour now. Outfit the youth sports, wait till they grow up, "Nike who? My parents wear that stuff." If rPI + Codesys become popular in higher education we could see a decent shift in 10 years.

John,
Take a company like Bedrock. They redesign a lot of things from the ground up: magnetic backplane, claims of security up the wazoo. I know plenty of engineers that are curious about it, but we aren't INTERESTED. The product doesn't fit the paradigm we are used to, and so we semi politely chuckle and ignore it.

I think part of this was and continues to be a marketing error, basically making everyone register/submit their information to get information about the product. Also claiming the IDE was "built from the ground up" when clearly it's just Codesys. I was curious too, but stopped being interested when I had to register for information. "Help me help you, help me help you..."

Curious thought, but does anyone see your PLC code?

If I look at PLC code from 20 years ago and compare it with today's code, there are huge improvements. Objects, tag structures, motion, code re-use, etc. they all have advanced a lot. But who sees that?

Engineers see it! This is where a lot of the discussion should end. If someone is programming a ControlLogix the same way as they did a PLC5, well that isn't the hardware's fault and no wonder the world feels like there is no change. But open up a ControlLogix program by someone who knows how to utilize it properly and it's years and years ahead and methods are becoming similar to what you see in a high-level programming environment.