Modicon M221 on VPN, communication error

lesmar96

Lifetime Supporting Member
Good Morning,

I have two Schneider PLCs, M221s, communication over Modbus TCP/IP. They are linked together over an IPSec VPN tunnel between two cellular routers. Once we got the VPN setup correctly, we used standard Modbus TCP/IP programming for the communication. The problem is that if for some reason the VPN link drops out, like just a electronic glitch, the communication function block in my plc program does not error out on an error or timeout. It just acts like everything is fine even if it has no connection to the other PLC because the VPN tunnel shutdown. Programming done in SoMachine Basic v1.5. I was using the MSG3 function block for communication. Any inputs on how to better monitor the status of the communication would be greatly appreciated.

It sounds like you need a heartbeat signal into the PLC. This is usually just a simple on delay timer. The remote PLC will turn on a bit in the local. The local will reset the bit and start a timer. If the timer expires before the remote turns on the bit, you know that a communication error has occurred.

Regards,

that is a great suggestion. This project is to monitor the level in a remote water tank and when the comm failed, the level would just stay the same for hours and therefore would not control the pumps at all.