Batch find replace FTVME

LoganB

Lifetime Supporting Member
Running factory talk view ME, and I've noticed on other threads that people have talked about creating batch files that can do multi step tasks to save time.

I've converted a SLC 5/05 PLC to a compactlogix and now need to change the addressing on my panelview program. Could anyone briefly outline the process (if one exists) that would allow me to alter all the addresses from the format

{::[PLC]B3:1/0}

to the format

{[PLC]B3[1].0}

without having to do a find/replace for every array number in ViewME? I believe I need to export the screens to XML and then create a batch file to do the find replace, but I'm a little unsure of the process.

Thanks!

You could use the PLC5/SLC mapping option in the CompactLogix program, then you wouldn't have to change the Panelview at all.

I've always gone screen to screen, select all, find/replace all and try to find the best way to do the changes as globally has possible. Not always perfect but sometimes brute force like this offsets the time needed to automate the task. I haven't touched ME in a long time so I don't have a quick and dirty suggestion.

If I were in a position where I needed to do this via scripting via scripting, I would probably write python scripts to do the work.

It's direct reference, unfortunately. I think the easiest brute force is to do a find/replace all for ":1/" and change it to "[1]." and just work my way through all the data tables from the SLC program. I can get rid of the "::" in one go, and that should leave me with the correct address format. There are only around 100 tables in this program, so I can do it that way without too much work time. Was just hoping there was some way to do it with a batch so I could use it moving forward with multiple programs.

I don't mind using the translation tool on big programs for conversions, it has some quirks but it saves a lot of time if you know what to expect.