1769-SDN will not leave Idle

LoganB

Lifetime Supporting Member
My 1769-SDN rev 4 is seemingly stuck in idle mode. I have the configuration all set up correctly as far as I can tell. The card is in slot 1, and it's the only card in the chassis. I see all my scan nodes when I'm online in Networx, I have no error codes (just flashing node number 00 to 80 and back) on the scanner, if I pull the plug out on the scanner I get all the node numbers flashing for dropping the signal, everything seems copacetic.

If I jump online to my PLC (CompactLogix L33-ER rev 24) and activate my Slot 1 Word 0 Bit 0 to activate the scanner... nothing. Stays flashing 00-80. I have my distributor coming out in the morning to get some eyes on it, and Rockwell was no help (basically just kept telling me I needed to activate the run bit). Has anyone ever experienced this issue?

Thanks in advance!

In the ControlLogix and CompactLogix scanners, the Control and Status data is contained in module-specific tags, rather than at the beginning of the data block like it is in the 1747-SDN or 1771-SDN. The 1769-SDN is a little special because it can be used both with CompactLogix and with the old MicroLogix 1500. With the MicroLogix, the module is more like its 1747-SDN cousin.

In an SLC-500 or MicroLogix 1500 application, you would turn on O:1.0/0 to put the DeviceNet scanner into RUN mode.

In a CompactLogix, the tag will be Local:1:O.CommandRegister.Run.

I bet that's my problem! Thanks a ton Ken, I had no idea the Command Register tags even existed. :ROFLMAO:

Also a little miffed that the Rockwell tech support people didn't catch the fact that I was using the Local:1:O.Data.0 tag to try and run the card, since they also knew I was on a compact... maybe I need to pay more for my annual support contract? o_O:confused:

There are a handful of very expert DeviceNet support people manning the phones at A-B. I was one of them.

You might have gotten somebody who was inexpert, or who was thinking about the MicroLogix, or maybe you were just talking past one another. The Command bit is arguably the first bit in the Output data array.

Take some time to look through the Command and Status bits. In CompactLogix and ControlLogix, they're particularly useful for diagnosing the status of devices on the network.

Thanks again Ken. I'll do that! I'm just starting to venture into DeviceNet at a new job, so I can use all the help I can get!

Well, stick around.

I used to have a hard hat with a sticker on the front that said "I love DeviceNet" and another on the back that said "Soon You Will Too".

Well, stick around.

I used to have a hard hat with a sticker on the front that said "I love DeviceNet" and another on the back that said "Soon You Will Too".

Did you have to get that sticker custom made? I can't imagine there being enough of a market for it to be mass produced :whistle:

I had another sticker with a cartoon of a horned demon holding a 1788-CN2DN, with the caption "DeviceNet is the Devil's Network"

I added a slightly gap-toothed smile to the Devil so he looked just like Jim Ehlert (who had just gotten a major promotion to RA manager of semiconductor markets). This got me in a little trouble at Intel.