PLC5 Remote I/O Ethernet Bridge

Hello All
I have a customer with a PLC5 that needs to add an additional Remote IO drop. The problem is there is no practical way to install a blue hose between the devices. There is however a fiber pair available that spans that gap. Have anyone ever successfully installed a blue hose extension vis ethernet? The customer would prefer using his existing PLC5 IO if possible. Any insite would be appreciated.

There are media converters available that will transmit the RIO protocol over fiber optics. Phoenix Digital are the classic vendor (their web presence is weak when it's active), but I've seen good success also with the EOTec 2000 products (developed by Weed Instrument, now sold and supported by Ultra Electronics).

When you do start migrating this system from PLC-5 and RIO to ControlLogix and Ethernet, have a look at the 1756-RIO scanner and at the QTS bridge modules from RIO to EtherNet/IP, which are sold and supported by Prosoft.