1769-L23 cannot create project in Studio 5000

ArtR

Easy one (I think) :p

I am working with Studio 5000 mini version. Recently while on site, attempting to upload a program from a 1769-L23E processor I found I could not. I tried to start a new project, and noticed this processor was not listed as project option. Is this due to the limitations of the mini version of Studio 5000?

Easy one (I think) :p

I am working with Studio 5000 mini version. Recently while on site, attempting to upload a program from a 1769-L23E processor I found I could not. I tried to start a new project, and noticed this processor was not listed as project option. Is this due to the limitations of the mini version of Studio 5000?

Welcome to the Forum!.

The culprit is not the Mini Edition of the Studio5000 Logix Designer software but most likely its version.

1769-L23E processors highest permissible firmware revision (hence functional software version) is revision 20 and the software required would be RSLogix 5000 v.20.

Studio5000 Logix Designer minimum version is 21 hence, if you have Studio5000 Logix Designer Mini v.21 installed you will not be able to connect but to revision 21 firmware Logix CPUs.

I do not know what version is your Studio5000 Mini software, however, it will not connect to a 1769-L23 CPU; you will need RSLogix 5000 software at the same version number as the CPU firmware revision .

Seems I am Running Studio 5000 Version 30.0 However, I did notice under activation's its indicated as ver. 1.0 ???

The "Activation" version is not related to the software one.

If you have a TechConnect contract with Rockwell, purchasing any Studio 5000 edition and /or version entitles you to freely download and install/run any released RSLogix 5000 Mini or Studio 5000 Mini versions.

If this is true, you could download and install RSLogix 5000 v.20.04, v.19, v.18 and v.17 for right now; hopefully the 1769-L23E firmware revision is at one of these newer levels.

Navigate to https://download.rockwellautomation.com/webupdates/enter.aspx

Enter the Studio 5000 Mini Serial # and Activation Key (Red Envelope) or the purchasing Company Name...You might be eligible for download.

In RSLinx Classic's network browse, right-click the 1769-L23E and select "Device Properties".

That will tell you for sure which Revision of firmware is running in the controller, and therefore which Version of RSLogix 5000 (the old name for pre-v21 Studio 5000 Logix Designer) you need to install to support that controller.

There was some kerfluffle involving minor revisions of v20 and v21, so find out *exactly* the Revision of the firmware, and folks can help you determine which Version of RSLogix 5000 to use.

There was some kerfluffle involving minor revisions of v20 and v21, so find out *exactly* the Revision of the firmware, and folks can help you determine which Version of RSLogix 5000 to use.

"Kerfuffle" is putting it kindly :p

The product manager who had just taken over when that happened was a friend of mine, and some of the confusion (but not the technical aspects) was his fault.

My assessment is that he was so new to the job (and had just moved to be there at HQ) that he allowed too many people's input into how to handle the naming and revisioning and communication and support.

And that's how you ended up with such lousy communication to the field and to technical support, focusing on sub-revision numbers and leading zeroes and 1's and 3's and "newer" and "older".

It could have been done with a single voice from Product Marketing, emphasizing that the issue was directly related to digitally signed firmware, and why.

Ahem.

Kerfluffle.

At least they 'fixed' the 20; RSL5K 20.04 will open any v.20 applications (no matter the minor) and will connect to any 20 firmware CPUs (no matter the minor).

Still waiting for the 21 'repair'...If ever...:D

As found in the online Urban Dictionary

Top Result
Noun: a disturbance or hubbub; a small scale disturbance. an upsetting even

Second Result
Verb: To rile up, confuse, or anger a cat (especially kittens) into fluffing up. Sometimes results in a cat spazzing out and running around

Sixth result
A kind of flatulence that is both silent and lacks scent.

You are imaginative Ken...........

At least they 'fixed' the 20; RSL5K 20.04 will open any v.20 applications (no matter the minor) and will connect to any 20 firmware CPUs (no matter the minor).

Still waiting for the 21 'repair'...If ever...:D

The v21 "repair" was to release v23. v23 is basically v21 sans the minor revision, erm, kerfluffle.

That's (so I hear) why there was no v22. v22 was in the works when all of this went down, so they patched v21 into v23 and then v22, when it eventually saw the light of day, came out as v24.

The v21 "repair" was to release v23. v23 is basically v21 sans the minor revision, erm, kerfluffle.

That's (so I hear) why there was no v22. v22 was in the works when all of this went down, so they patched v21 into v23 and then v22, when it eventually saw the light of day, came out as v24.

Oh boy...Kinda gave up on this issue...I usually twist wrists and demand upgrade to 24 since 23 truly sucks...I'd say I've flashed at least fifty 21s so far...:D...

Well, there seems to be something of a kerfuffle in resolving what I had hoped was a simple matter. When starting Studio 5000 the 1769-L23E-QB1 is NOT listed as a project type. Jumps from L19ER to L24ER. Is there a patch for Studio 5000 that will allow me to add this controller? Thanks you folks for your help.

We should probably all apologise (mostly myself) for derailing your thread - your answer is way back in post #2 by dmargineau. The software version is the issue.

I suspect you may be new to Logix-platform PLC's and software, so here's a quick primer to help you understand why.

RSLogix 5000 is a software package that was released to program Logix-class PLC's. There were several versions of this software released, the latest being v20. There will be no more (major) revisions of this software package released, as it has been superseded by...

Studio 5000 is a suite of software packages, including Logix Designer and View Designer. Note the distinction here - Studio 5000 is the "container", if you like, that holds multiple software packages, not the software package itself. The software package that you're interested in, which is contained within the Studio 5000 suite is...

Logix Designer is for all intents and purposes a re-branded RSLogix 5000. It is used to program Logix-class PLC's. The first version of this software is v21, and at the time of writing, the latest version is v30.

Now, here's the "quirk" that's catching you out (I think).

All PLC's run firmware, and Logix PLC's are no exception. But to program a Logix PLC, your software version must match the PLC's firmware revision.

So, if your PLC has firmware version 16, you will need RSLogix v16 to program it.

If your PLC has firmware revision 24, you will need Logix Designer v24, which comes as part of the Studio 5000 v24 package, to program it.

If you have PLC's with 10 different firmware revisions, you need the same 10 software versions on your PC to program them. The good news is that you can have as many versions of RSLogix 5000/Studio 5000/Logix Designer installed on your PC as you want - they all run simultaneously side-by-side. If you double-click on a v16 project, RSLogix v16 will open. If you double-click on a v29 project, Logix Designer v29 will open. the additional good news is that your license - as dmargineau explained in post #4 - is not version-specific. If you have a license for one version of RSLogix 5000/Studio 5000, you can run them all.

Now, as to the "kerfluffle"...

You only need to match major firmware revisions, to make everything work. You can program a PLC with firmware version 29.99 using Logix Designer v29.00, or vice versa (those actual minor revisions don't exist, but you get the idea). No problems. Except...

RSLogix 5000 v20.01 was released.
Logix Designer v21.01 was released.
No problems so far...
RSLogix 5000 v20.03 was released
Logix designer v21.03 was released
And for the first time, the minor revisions were incompatible. So, if you programmed a PLC with v20.03, someone using v20.01 could no longer go online with that PLC. And, you can't install two copies of the same major revision on the same PC. So, you can either have v20.01 or v20.03, but not both, and if your PLC was programmed with the version you don't have, you're in a pickle. The same was true of v21.01 and v21.03.

To rectify this, Rockwell released RSLogix 5000 v20.04, which plays nice with both v20.01 and v20.03 PLC's. If you install RSLogix 5000 v20.04, you will not have this minor revision issue and you can get back to more important things, like wondering who first came up with the term "kerfluffle".

Rockwell did not release a fix for the v21.01/v21.03 "kerfluffle", other than (as I mentioned above) releasing Logix Designer v23, and telling everyone to just update any PLC's currently running firmware revision 21, to firmware revision 23.

So, circling back around to why all of this is important...

The 1769-L23 is an older-series PLC, and the newest firmware revision that it supports is v20. If you want to work with it in it's current form, you will need to find out what revision of firmware it currently has, and acquire a copy of RSLogix 5000 with a major revision to match (again, your existing license will still work, you just need the software). Or, if you just want to create a new project and start from scratch, you can pick whatever version of firmware you want, and just flash the L23's firmware to suit. But, the 1769-L23 cannot be flashed any higher than v20.

If you're using the L23 in a new application, you'd be best to flash it up to the latest possible version of firmware (v20). But if you do, take heed of the "kerfluffle", and make sure to install v20.04 of RSLogix, not v20.01 or v20.03.

Clear as mud?

As to your specific problem: Logix Designer starts at v21, and the 1769-L23 can only be flashed as high as v20. That's the heart of your issue. Logix designer doesn't know about the L23, because no version of it has ever supported it. You need a copy of RSLogix 5000, just to so much as "choose" that PLC. And then, of course, you need the right (or rather, matching) version of RSLogix 5000, to actually work with it.

Edit: if you want the TL;DR version, just re-read dmargineau's post #2 ;)

Last edited:
Thank you ASF for your time.

I have Studio 5000 V30.00.00. Do I need to downgrade this version to V20 in order to create\modify a program for the L23?

Thank you ASF for your time.

I have Studio 5000 V30.00.00. Do I need to downgrade this version to V20 in order to create\modify a program for the L23?

Since it's just after midnight, Saturday 07/08/2017 down-under, let's expedite this a bit...:D

You need to acquire the RSLogix 5000 Version 20.04 install package; you could download it at https://download.rockwellautomation.com/webupdates/enter.aspx (enter the software Serial Number and either the red envelope originally received Activation Key or the purchasing entity name); if you don't have access to the Online Software Download site (lack of RA TechConnect contract) contact your local Rockwell Automation distributor and ask for a CD media install package.

Rockwell Automation software is not 'downgrade-able'; using a single Activation. you could simultaneously/concurrently run as many versions of RSLogix 5000 and/or Studio 5000-Logix Designer as you need.

What is 'downgrade-able' is the Allen-Bradley CPU controllers (PLCs) firmware; although the common approach is the 'upgrade' of the controller firmware, some specific scenarios will arise the need of 'downgrading' the CPU's operating system.

Last edited: