HMI Guidelines

maddog

Many moons ago I came across some guidelines for HMI screen design, but have subsequently lost them. The guidelines listed, For example, which colors schemes irritate the operators the least so that you don't get yelled at when you come into the control room... Do any of you know where I could get my hands on something like that? Is there an industry-wide governance on this issue?

Try the Interface Hall of Shame (It deals mainly with GUI design, but a lot of the information can be applied to an HMI)

Also check the "archives" section at Beville Engineering

At least it's a start.... :rolleyes:

Hopefully, someone else will have a few links. I'd be interested in this as well.

-Eric

Last edited:
Yes, that article was very interesting! I found it funny though, that the example pictures were totally unreadable. This kinda goes against what he discusses. :p

I have to remember to visit the "Hall of Shame" more often. I forgot how funny some of the examples of "what NOT to do" are...

-Eric

I finally found it! It's an ISA standard ISA-S5.5-1985. It's a bit dated, for example I don't like black backgrounds. And, the symbols are a bit simple. It's written for 80's technology. But there is still some good stuff here - maybe 20% of the spec. It talks a little bit about developing a color plan, and using reverse-video and blink, etc., and goes into the ISA tagging nomenclature.