S7 200 and PPI/PC

geniusintraining

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
As some of you know, I make and sell communication cables, by searching, reading and some help from my friends :) I was able to make an S7 200 PPI/PC and it worked :D

But that leads me other my other questions and hope that someone my have an opinion or knows the answer.

1) My version does not have the dip switches for the communication speed, so has anyone ever made their own before? and are there limitations?

2) Can anyone help with a newer S7 200 and test this for me? I am limited with my experience with MicroWin so I am not sure how to check all the limitation and on new S7's

I don't want to sell someone something that is limited and not disclose it to them, I think I was communicating at 19K and everything seemed to be fine.

Thanks
Mark

Mark,

I'ld very much like to help you test, but I'm afraid Belgium is too far away from South Carolina to justify the cost involved in transporting the item over here and back.

I hope someone else more in your neighbourhood will be able to help.

Kins regards,

geniusintraining said:
1) My version does not have the dip switches for the communication speed, so has anyone ever made their own before? and are there limitations?Thanks
Mark

I have a newer siemens usb-ppi interface for s7 200, these have no dip switches.

jvdcande said:
I'ld very much like to help you test, but I'm afraid Belgium is too far away from South Carolina to justify the cost involved in transporting the item over here and back.

Hi Jean and Dave...

I looks like there's not many people in the US using them (or just not reading this thread), but Jean if you would like to help (again), PM me your mailing address, then just let me know how it turns out.

I will be sending you 1 PPI/PC and 1 Keyspan USB Adapter, they are yours for helping, if you don't want them just give them to someone that can use them. I think you will like the adapter if you have a need for it.

I was not able to get my less expensive adapter to work but the Keyspan did work, I was able to communicate at the lower speed 9K?? with an older 214 using the free/trial software and using Win2000

So if you could test it with anything you have and at different speeds, using the USB and the serial and XP, just try everything and let me know failed or worked

Then I will put the (if any) disclaimers with the listing, that way my customers know the limitations.

Thanks again
Mark

Mark,

on the one hand I'm somewhat shocked you'll have to send it all the way over here to get it tested, but on the other hand I'm happy to help. I can test it on Win2000 and XP and with the first generation S7-212 and S7-214 and also with second generation S7-224 and S7-224XP.

Thanks a lot for sending these devices over. You can use the mailing address in my signature. You can expect a thorough test report as soon as I can finish it.

Kind regards,

If you PM me, I may be able to help.
I typically program using a 5512,a PG or even program through the EM277. Lets discuss.
I am also in South Carolina.

Jay

I'm somewhat shocked you'll have to send it all the way over here to get it tested

I ship about 40% of my sales to overseas, if this one turns out it should change my sales to 50-50, now that I have started selling Mitsubishi also :)

Jean,
It's on the way, it should take about a week or so to get there, thanks again...

Jay,
Thanks for the offer, I will see what Jean comes back with.

Mark

I'm curious about the 19.2K. Is this just out of the PC comm. port?
If so, what do you do about the 187.5K PPI speeds? I see this baud rate alot, because of having an HMI on the port.
How does this work with the PG/PC interface?
Good luck

JRW said:
I'm curious about the 19.2K. Is this just out of the PC comm. port?
If so, what do you do about the 187.5K PPI speeds? I see this baud rate alot, because of having an HMI on the port.

It worked with 9... I tried to change the the speed to 19 but no luck, I think it may have been me (not the cable) as I also could not get the real Siemens cable to work with anything other then the 9K

JRW said:
How does this work with the PG/PC interface?
If I knew what the PG/PC interface was I would tell you :)... long story short I made an db9 cable and buy using an 485/232 converter I am able to get it to communicate, but not sure on the speed limitations, I have check (as Dave said) some or all of the new cables (USB or not) and any after market cables that I can find don't have the dip switches, so not sure how they are getting around it, better electronics?... but anyway if I can make a cable and sell it at a reasonable price it will sell, even if it does have limitations

JRW said:
Good luck

Thanks I need it :)

After Jean gets done and if I get somewhat favorable reviews maybe I can send you one to try for me (if you would), if he says that it not worth the power to blow it up... well, time to move on :)

Thanks
Mark