Ethernet over bluetooth bridge???

JOLTRON

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hey guys,

I saw something before but cannot find it again. I have some weld fixtures that I am not able to have an Ethernet cable run to all the time do to the movement the fixture does.
I am looking for some sort of Ethernet over blue tooth bridge. This way I can attach the one end to my weld fixture (1 of 12 different fixtures) and have the other end plug into a network drop near buy.

Does anyone know of any or have any advice?
I shouldn't need to communicate while it is welding.

Thanks,
-Joel

Why not connect to a standard RJ45 outlet and the regular LAN ?
What is the need or advantage to go over Bluetooth if you have to disconnect and connect anyway ?

The weld fixture rotates 360 degrees. Therefore the fixture can't be plugged in all the time. If I got a bluetooth bridge I wouldn't have to worry about someone not unplugging it.

Plugging the machine directly into a network drop is how we are doing it now, i'm looking for a way to have all of the fixtures hooked up at once eventually and not worrying about cables getting twisted up.

We have tried just plain wireless bridges in the past but with the cells being made of steel we were very limited on distance and our wireless connection dropped alot.

I was told that Bluetooth was more robust and that it would be more likely to be able to communicate while welding if needed.

In general, Bluetooth and WiFi run in the same 2.4 GHz band, so the same antenna, reflection, and noise issues are going to affect both technologies.

It's counterintuitive, but turning the transmit power down (which Bluetooth would by definition be doing) is important in short-range, high-reflection environments. You can easily saturate an ordinary 100 mW WiFi bridge by running two of them in the same room.

If it were me, I would take another shot at WiFi using devices that tolerate multipath reflection well. I've had excellent success with Ubiquiti's products, and their modern MIMO equipment is supposed to have even better multipath performance. A pair of NanoStation LoCo M's are an inexpensive test platform; turn the transmit power way, way down at short range.

If those don't work, I recommend using 900 MHz gear instead; Data-Linc and Prosoft and Freewave all make 900 MHz IP modems that give far better reliability than WiFi in high-interference environments.

Thanks for your input guys. I looked thru the link Mickey sent me and it was mainly for RS232/485 and bluetooth, which gives me some good ides for other projects in the future.

For now we will just keep plugging in the cable and hope they remeber to unplug it.

And I'll be taking a look at the Ubiquiti products that Ken recommended.