Fanuc robot GI's

Robobob

Lifetime Supporting Member
Can anyone tell me it you can increase the number of group inputs in Fanuc robots, or is there another way to read the values of Ethernet I/P registers in the teach program? I am working on a re-purpose of a robot cell where I need more Group Inputs. The original integrator used all 100 of them. I need about 10 more.I am sending offset info to the robot.

Group inputs are just bundled discrete inputs so if you'd have to take the left over discrete bits and compute your own value.

For instance, lets say DI[200] DI[201] DI[202] are populated by the PLC with a value that can range between 0 and 7. R[200] = ( DI[200] ) + ( DI[201] * 2 ) + ( DI[202] * 4). You could probably do that in a background program.

My issue is not getting the inputs to the robot. It's seeing them as integers in the teach program. I am maxed out on GI groups and need more. There are 100 GI's available to the teach program and every one is already used in the teach program. I am sending 160 integers to the robot via Ethernet I/P. I am only using about 120 of them. I have plenty of capacity across the wire, I just cannot see them as integers in the program. I can see the individual bits changing state, but no more GI's to map them to. Is 100 the max or is there a way to increase the number of GI's. jstolaruk's idea will work, but is a lot of work. Just looking for other ideas

Thanks
Bob

I doubt you're using all at the same time, you could do a multiplexing scheme. A GO that tells the PLC to send over value #X and the PLC responds with the value. Along with some handshaking of course. I've actually used that on a previous project. At the beginning of each TP program, populate the registers you need for that TP.

My original idea will work but you may run out of registers (normally 100, max of 200).

With Ethernet/IP explicit messaging, you can write your values directly into Fanuc numeric register values instead of DI's. Using that method, you can send integer or real values directly to registers that can be used in TP programs. You can also read/write string registers and position registers.

With Ethernet/IP explicit messaging, you can write your values directly into Fanuc numeric register values instead of DI's. Using that method, you can send integer or real values directly to registers that can be used in TP programs. You can also read/write string registers and position registers.

Can you post the plc example of that? I was told that wasn't possible but I never followed up on it, I just simply used the cyclic i/o mapped into di and do.

Can you post the plc example of that? I was told that wasn't possible but I never followed up on it, I just simply used the cyclic i/o mapped into di and do.

It may depend on the software version on the robot, but it will have to have the Ethernet/IP Adapter software option. But if you already have I/O mapped over Ethernet/IP I would think it is loaded.

I'll try to post something tomorrow as it's getting late here. If you have access to Fanuc eDocs (or a Fanuc salesman), take a look at the Explicit Messaging section in the EtherNet/IP Setup and Operations Manual.

Robobob, Adam13 hit the nail on the head, you can read/write to a block (1-max) of R (or PR) registers with one message. You could eliminate a bunch of GIs. The Fanuc document Adam13 referred to is MAROC77EN01101E.