New laptop

sirhiss2

Hi guys i'm planning on ordering in a new laptop. A dell d810 with a docing station and a 2.2ghz processor. Just interested if you guys had any suggestions. I want to be able to program/communicate with:
Siemens s7-300 series PLC's (I'll probably use PCS7),A-B SLC 500's and Control logix PLC's (using control logix and/or RSlogix), and also Modicon 984's, Momemtiums using Concept software. I have a little of every thing! ha ha. Do you guys forsee any perticular issues? Laptop comes standard with XP.
Any suggestions "make sure I have" with the laptop. Ie. RS232 port Parallel port etc. ?
Have any of you guys tried this?:confused:

The Fujitsu E8000 Lifebook comes with 4 usb, infrared,

serial and parallel ports. I think this is the one I am going to get. A friend bought the C2340 some time ago and it seems very well made.

I have had excellent performance from HP laptops with real serial ports. The latest one I bought is a beauty.

I just recently purchased 2 dell d610, have no problems at all using them with plc software. I also got dos based software for plc2 working on the xp sp2 platform.

It seem that a while ago people were scratching the dirt looking for a new laptop with a real serial port. Recently I've been looking at new laptops and they ALL seem to have real serial ports. Are serial ports back in vogue??

The big players(Dell HP) in this market have few models with real port.

Most of the models do not have real port.
I think its matter of time. that the real port become history.

Just my 2 cents worth

Personally, I have nothing but headaches with Dell laptops (and desktops for that matter). We purchased 2 IBM R52's about 2 months age. You have to use a USB to serial converter. The only glitches I have had was my hotsynch for the palm wanted to use the same port as RSLink. Once I manually adjusted the ports (have a desktop adapter station also) there was no problems. I and our maintenance dept have been able to communicate with all of the A-B stuff, drives, etc. The one draw back with the R52’s is only one PCMCIA slot. The last place I worked we had the IBM Tt42’s. Again no serial ports but they do have 2 PCMCIA slots. The shock protection on the harddrive was big selling point. The T42 survived a tumble down three steps with power on. And yes, you do pay more for the name but again no really problems with any of them.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I will have a look at those sites.
Anyone have any problems with PCS7 or step7 with an XP environment?

nswu1,

What settings do you have to make the PLC2 software work w/PCMK card under XP. I did not have much luck with this in the past.

Thanks,
Glenn

I really like my Acer C-300 Tablet. It also doubles as a standard laptop. No 9 pin serial, just 2 USB and one PCMCIA. It has not been a problem except when a tried to copy a file to an older laptop. I have no 3.5" and it did not have a USB.