AOI pushbutton input

showshocka

Can anyone assist me in directing me to where I would go to, or how can I find out what a particular input or all the I/O that's inside an AOL, preferably inputs. On the outside AOL instruction it shows a few items PE,Aux, J_RST_LCL, J_TM_AREA. Within the AOL logic there is a Jam reset that says "Jam fault Reset (pushbutton) input". The Local Jam Reset pushbutton is not working when pushed. As shown, the J_RST_LCL (OTE) there are two parallel inputs, one from Area Stop/Start push button that works and one from the Local Jam pushbutton Reset. I went to the Controller tags and still could not find a particular "Pushbutton" that toggles inside the AOL.

for plctalk.jpg

controller jam lane 1.jpg

Last edited:
You should be able to cross reference that tag, XXX_MRT_PEJ.J_RST_LCL, and find out what turns it on in the program. (Outside the AOI).

In order for a phsyical input to turn on that Pushbutton for the AOI, there will have to be some sort of logic somewhere outside the AOI that does it.

Example:
XIC RESET_PUSHBUTTON OTE XXX_MRT_PEJ.J_RST_LCL

Edit:
Or, I guess, an HMI or other communication device could write directly to the XXX_MRT_PEJ.J_RST_LCL tag.

Last edited:
It appears to me that it is not being defined anywhere in your program. Which may explain why the local reset option isn't working, but using the Start/Stop button does.

Here is an example from one of my programs:

http://i.imgur.com/nDowqif.jpg

I cross referenced "RATE.PARTS_PRODUCED_PER_CYCLE"

It shows as the first hit the "RATE" tag which is used on the AOI itself. Then it shows three other uses of the actual tag "RATE.PARTS_PRODUCED_PER_CYCLE"

I'm sorry, I shouldn't have used "defined". That was a poor choice of word on my part that lead to confusion. I realized the term I used but too late to edit it.

You need logic in your program to turn on the Tag. Currently that tag "XXX_MRT_PEJ.J_RST_LCL" isn't used anywhere in your program. So nothing turns that Tag on, and the logic in your AOI won't do anything.

You need to have something in your program, somewhere like this:
XIC RESET_PUSHBUTTON OTE XXX_MRT_PEJ.J_RST_LCL

Edit:
Looking at your AOI instruction, it has the "J_RST_LCL" visible, but currently set to "0". That means it will be false always. You need to put an input tag there. Something triggered by what ever Reset button you want to use.

Last edited:
You need logic in your program to turn on the Tag.

Yes, I understand. Even for that of what I've posted last, it has all of the same Logic as all the other Jams that uses the same The Data Contentent and they work from the same push button which I have Verified- input from AB I:1.14 (so it is not a wiring issue) and this particular one is the only one that doesn't work. I've been comparing
logic all over the place.... and By the way I am completely baffled on how that one OTE comes and stays on when a jam happens the logic is not even Logical and it's not a Latch. Rung with Rst jam PB xxx.jpg

AB input cross ref.jpg

Last edited:
Can you show a picture of one of the other, working, AOI instructions, and a cross reference of the J_RST_LCL for the working ones?

Unless something sets that specific J_RST_LCL true, the logic in the AOI won't work. Right now given your picture and cross reference of the tag, I don't think anything in the PLC program is turning on the tag.

Edit:
I'm curious. Is that rung of logic you just posted, possibly a typo? The Jam Reset pushbutton is turning on the J_LAT tag (which is an indicator that the jam has occurred. Should it instead be turning on the J_RST_LCL tag?

Edit:

and By the way I am completely baffled on how that one OTE comes and stays on when a jam happens the logic is not even Logical and it's not a Latch.
Because the J_LAT tag is being set TRUE in the AOI, Jam Occurred. Which makes me think that OTE outside the AOI is a typo and it should be J_RST_LCL instead.

Last edited:
Those cross references are from inside the AOI. You need to look for the AOI_NAME.J_RST_LCL tag in the PLC program.

Like the tag:
XXX_MRT_PEJ.J_RST_LCL

Ok, to try to summarize everything I think that is happening:

You have an AOI type "FS_PEJ". It is called "XXX_MRT_PEJ"

Inside that "XXX_MRT_PEJ" you have two tags we are dealing with. J_LAT and J_RST_LCL.

J_LAT is the Jam Status (Output) of that particular AOI
J_RST_LCL is the Local Reset (Input) of that particular AOI

So to control the Local Reset of the "XXX_MRT_PEJ" AOI you need to have your Rest Pushbutton input turn on the "XXX_MRT_PEJ.J_RST_LCL" tag.

In your posted screenshot, the Reset Pushbutton input turns on the "XXX_MRT_PEJ.J_LAT" tag. This is wrong. This is also why that OTE is staying true even when the logic is not. That tag, "XXX_MRT_PEJ.J_LAT" is being set true inside the AOI because it is Jammed.

You need to correct that Reset Pushbutton logic outside the AOI so instead of turning on "XXX_MRT_PEJ.J_LAT" it turns on "XXX_MRT_PEJ.J_RST_LCL"

Ok, to try to summarize everything I think that is happening:

the Reset Pushbutton input turns on the "XXX_MRT_PEJ.J_LAT" tag. This is wrong. ... instead of turning on "XXX_MRT_PEJ.J_LAT" it turns on "XXX_MRT_PEJ.J_RST_LCL"

3 words "attention to Detail" Looked at that Tag IT seems a Thousands times. I'm at a loss for words other a Thank You.. CHEERS 🍻

Correction to Jam button not wroking_ wrong tag OTE.jpg