PLC Parking Garage Program

Your last program has an error on Rung 2, 3rd rung branch which is the Reset for the UDC Counter. With it like this, the UDC gets RESET on every scan, keeping it from counting up!

(Did you look at the program I posted back on Post #13? It had the correct logic.)

Because your STOP pushbutton is Normally Closed, the X1 instruction should be Normally Closed, so that the counter is NOT reset unless the red STOP PB is pressed. In other words, looking at the NC physical pushbutton with an internal NC PLC instruction results in a binary "0" to keep the reset off until the button is pressed, turning OFF the physical contact, but since the internal NC X1 inverts the input, then the internal X1 would go ON when the physical input is OFF.

Now, you need to DELETE the CO in front of the X1, because you want to be able to reset the counter EVEN when your are not in RUN mode. If you leave C0 there (on the 3rd rung branch), then when you press STOP, C0 is deenergized on Rung 1, so on Rung 2, you cannot ever do a reset because C0 is blocking your STOP button on the 3rd rung branch.

I suppose you added this because you were desperate and willing to try anything. Usually that situation results in compounding errors on top or errors, not a good thing. Relax, and step back and try to see the forest and ignore the trees. Try to understand how it WORKS, and you will then be able to make it work.

Your NO X1 on Rung 1 is correct. You really do not need the C0 contacts on your last 3 rungs for the Light Outputs. Yes it will work with those as they are, but think about it. Do you want to withhold vital information (is the garage full?) from the operator of this parking garage WHEN IN OFF MODE? Why not allow him to see the lights even when not running? They indicate a status or process condition. It is common in industrial plants to leave indicator lights operating, even when the process is OFF.

Last edited:
Here is the wiring diagram for the DL-05-DR from the DL-05 User Manual, Chapter 2. Next time, get the wiring diagram before you start guessing at the wiring.

Automation Direct DL-05-DR Wiring Diagram.jpg

Dear Lancie:

The error in programming changes was at my hand, so I will take the flak for that (although I think what I said to change was correct, he just misinterpreted some things). However, there was a problem with the logic you posted in post #13, that being that the project description that he gave us in post #1 states that "The parking garage manager starts the operation by pressing a NO pushbutton. As soon as the process starts, a green light turns on at the entrance of the garage indicating that parking space is available." With the configuration you have in #13, the lights will be on at all times regardless of whether the process is started or stopped. I'm fairly certain if he removes the C0 contact on Rung 2 Branch 3 (as I told him might be a problem, but alas), then it should work as the program description asks.

Thanks for your comments. Yes, it does say "as soon as the process starts...". That could mean as soon as the power is turned on, or as soon as the PLC goes into RUN, or as soon as the Start button is pressed.

I am sure that you agree that most processes leave the indicator lights where they will show the status, even when the process is not started, and until the power switch is turned to OFF. I suppose it comes down to the instructor. Does he think that all indicators should be OFF when the RUN relay is OFF? If so, then you have to go with that, even if it is not the common industry practice. He really did not even mention the run relay, so just what does "process starts" really mean?

With the configuration you have in #13, the lights will be on at all times regardless of whether the process is started or stopped.
Only 1 light in this project should ever be ON. If there are 2 or more ON, then there is an error.

Last edited:
Dear Lancie:

I totally agree with the fact that an indicator light should be on all the time in basically any situation, However in this specific situation I can kind of understand why it wouldn't be.The doors to the parking garage should be closed when the process is stopped at the end of the day, and when the process is stopped, we are to assume that all cars are clear (this is from the document from post #1). Just like a restaurant with only an open sign, if the sign is on, it is open, and if it is off, they are assumed to be closed. I believe it's the same deal here. You probably should still fire the red stacklight when it is closed for that indication, however, which is where I agree with you. The only reason why I don't think that is what they are looking for in the project description, is what Craig said in this post:
But the green light lit up before I pushed the green button to start the program.
From this, I inferred that craig didn't want to have the light on startup, which is why I suggested the changes.

I mean honestly, the idea of a manual operator in a parking garage is completely bonkers in this day and age anyways, you are absolutely right that the thing should be on at all times, but I guess if thats what the professor wants, that's what he will get (even though it's totally non-applicable).

I guess the main thing is to show-and-tell Craig how he can do the lights any way needed with a PLC. PLCs are used widely because they offer tremendous flexibility and easy changes.

Another option would be to add another comparison instruction on Rung 3:

If CTA0 > K0 AND if CTA0 < K23, then Y0 OUT.

With that change, the Green light will not go ON until the Blue Switch X2 is pressed the first time. That definitely is after the "process is started".

Probably it is best to leave the NO C0's in Rungs 3, 4, and 5.

Craig, you need to add rung comments to your program that document successful operation.
In your final report, be sure to document successful operation...

Last edited:
I suppose this project should have SOME sort of a point. :p Hopefully this was not only an exercise in wiring and programming, but also one in the value of the 7 P's!

That's a pretty neat solution to eliminate the problem of this whole, "When does it actually start" deal, but unfortunately I'm not sure if Craig is up for the mental stimulation. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Parking Garage Program

Hello Everyone,

I am trying the solutions you spoke of and I will post again as soon as I try them out. I would like to thank you all fro the help on this project and will keep with it until I see it through. Sorry for the late start I had an appointment I could not get out of but I am here now.

Sincerely,

Craig Yarges

Hello Everyone,

The project works GREAT!!! I have it running and it operates perfectly according to the instructions in the project memo. I would like to THANK YOU ALL for your help and understanding on this project. You are right I need to work on my labeling of instructions and keep a working diagram of how I wired each step of the project I am working on. I know that without your tutelage I probably would not have finished this project so my hat is off to all of you for teaching me a valuable lesson. I only hope that I can someday pay it forward to someone else and help them like you helped me.

Sincerely,

Craig Yarges

Congratulations. I hope you get a good grade. Don't forget about the other requirements:

1. TD posting (whatever that is)
2. Bill of Materials listing the brand, model, catalog number of each item that you used
3. Progress memos (I hope you already did this)
4. Final Report with screen pictures of your ladder logic in RUN mode (showing the green Run icon), and photos of the hardware showing successful operation.

Here is a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet layout for a Bill of Materials from a previous student parking garage. Replace the data and pictures with your own.

Last edited:
Parking Garage Project Finished

Hello Lancie1 and every one else,

I have finished my ECT 295L Parking Garage Project with your help and tutoring. I really do appreciate all of the help and inspiration that all of you gave me along the way. I presented my project last evening over a webcam link up and it was a big success with my professor and the rest of the class. I wanted to add that without your help this would not have been possible. I am definitely take heed to the pointers you gave me on not just programming but diagrams and documentation of the project. I will be more aware in future projects to keep a running diagram of my circuit and documentation as well so that if someone else had to step in and finish the project they would know where I left off and exactly what I was doing. I am attaching a copy of my final BOM that I turned in for my course yesterday. I tried to keep it simple and to the point so it was easily understood.

I wanted to end by saying Thank You to everyone who tried to help me with this project. And this is not the last time I will be posting here, I will be completing other projects so I can keep learning and hopefully attain gainful employment in the future. So keep on helping us newbies and know that you are making a difference in peoples lives.

Sincerely,

Craig Yarges (y):ROFLMAO:🍻:geek:

Last edited:
Hello SandwichMagic,

I have finished my ECT 295L Parking Garage Project with your help and tutoring. I really do appreciate all of the help and inspiration that all of you gave me along the way. I presented my project last evening over a webcam link up and it was a big success with my professor and the rest of the class. I wanted to add that without your help this would not have been possible. I am definitely take heed to the pointers you gave me on not just programming but diagrams and documentation of the project. I will be more aware in future projects to keep a running diagram of my circuit and documentation as well so that if someone else had to step in and finish the project they would know where I left off and exactly what I was doing. I am attaching a copy of my final BOM that I turned in for my course yesterday. I tried to keep it simple and to the point so it was easily understood.

I wanted to end by saying Thank You to everyone who tried to help me with this project. And this is not the last time I will be posting here, I will be completing other projects so I can keep learning and hopefully attain gainful employment in the future. So keep on helping us newbies and know that you are making a difference in peoples lives.

Sincerely,

Craig Yarges :geek:

PLC parking lot

I have this same project to do as well. I am glad you were able to finish. I know this information will be very helpful for me to complete my project. I did have one question about the SP4 for the one second timer. I have to make the yellow light flash continuously at the rate of 0.9 second on and 0.6 second off, indicating that the garage is getting almost full.