Connecting to a Weintek HMI

kalabdel

Hello again:site:,

I would like to connect to a Weintek HMI is mounted in a steel box by itself on the production floor and connected via Ethernet cable and unmanaged switch to an OMRON PLC. My goal at this time is to only upload from HMI to PC.
I used Weintek's utility manager, clicked on publish and upload.
In the dialog box at the bottom there's an "HMI Name" which if I understand correctly can search for HMI connected to the network but I do not get anything.

Does anyone have experience with Weintek's HMIs and how to painlessly connect to them.

Thanks

Kal

I have never been able to find it by name or any other online method. Go to the screen, touch the lower right button to bring up the menu. Password is 111111 (six ones). Read the Ethernet address. If the menu button is hidden, plug in a thumb drive. This method is normally used to download or upload program, but will bring up the menu.

If all that fails, use Wireshark to read addresses of all devices on the network.

You will also need to be sure that your PC is set up to access the subnet that the HMI is in. The search function usually works if you are in the same subnet, but never does if you aren't.

I haven't be able to program via Ethernet since Windows 10. Downloaded latest version of EB Pro last night to a Win 10 Pro machine. Still no dice.
Thought I had it on Wireshark, but then I didn't. Might be my machine. I'll troubleshoot more today. EB Pro manual shows Win 10.
I've been programming using USB cable or USB stick.

After pressing the lower right arrow to bring up the menu, touch the second icon (info) to get the Ethernet address.

Another utility I have used to find ethernet addresses is Angry IP Scanner. It is more light weight than Wireshark and has helped me at least three times in the past few months. If you just need to see what exists on the network, it's quick and effective. If you need to analyze traffic or packets, then by all means use Wireshark.

Angry IP Scanner can also export a selection to csv file. When I visit a new site where no one knows anything about anything (about once a month), I often use it to build up the basis of a spreadsheet of IP addresses in use.

I was not able to connect at all using Ethernet. I tried three different HMIs all three I tried plugin into the Ethernet switch and with two I plugged directly into the HMI where I had access to the back of the panels and had stickers with the IP address on them stuck near the port. I confirmed the IP address with Wireshark.

I kept error to check IP address, Port NO. and Password.

Some more question:

How do I find the Port Number?
What does it mean when wireshark displays the following:
Who has 255.255.254.1? Tell 255.255.251.2
One HMI is a MT8070iE with a USB port at the back. Is that a direct USB to USB connection with no interface?

Thanks
Kal

I tried uploading to a USB stick:

-Plugged the USB
-Got a dialog box clicked on Upload button
-In the following dialog box I entered 111111 for password but the first three choices which included uploading the project were dimmed and the only choice available was already checked and was to upload history.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Kal

Last edited:
Someone may have blocked upload/download, or changed password.

Thant's not nice :oops: . I was trying my best not to learn anything about this crappy HMI but it looks like I'm going to have to read the manual after all to figure out a way around it or develop the whole thing from the beginning.

Edit: Interestingly enough when I registered on the their website last week to download their software their registration confirmation email to me included my encrypted password. That I call criminal incompetence.

Last edited:
Weintek is rebranded in the US as Maple, KEP, and two others. It's well respected in the industry.
Try Upload on the others. All of them should have the thumb drive port if they are 8000 series (8070), or the small USB port if they are 6000 series (6070).
You asked earlier about ports. Port numbers are 8000 and 20248.