FactoryTalk View ME with Kepserver Enterprise

JoshCain

In the plant I work in we deal with a lot of the old TI-545 PLC's I have since been interfacing them with ethernet cards and adding Panel View Plus terminals as their HMI. Anyway in our control room I have a compactlogix l32e PLC using RSlinxEnterprise to communicate to the HMI. Recently we added an ethernet card to a nearby TI-545 PLC. I have tried creating a new screen on this HMI to display some data from the SIMATIC PLC with some degree of success. On my laptop testing the application everything shows up and works fine, but when I download the same application to the HMI it says the object no longer exists. The HMI still displays the data from the AB PLC though. It is a PVP-1250 2711p-t12c4d8 terminal. I am using version 8.20 of FactoryTalk as well the HMI has firmware matching and the Kepserver and drivers are enabled on the HMI. Any ideas?

Is it possible to use the RSLinxEnterprise Server and a Kepserver in the same ME application?

Last edited:
Boy, it has been a long time since i've done this.

Check in Kepware that the project you setup to talk to your TI-545 is the Default project. When you build the .mer, it will include the default project regardless of what Kepware is currently running.

When you build the .mer, it will include the default project regardless of what Kepware is currently running.

I thought for sure that they finally fixed that, but it certainly was an issue when the products were released.

When FTView Studio created the Runtime file, it grabbed the Kepserver file that was pointed to by the "Default File Path" field in Kepserver, rather than requiring you to select the *.pfe file or selecting the one that was currently active.

90% of the time that was still configured for the file named "default.pfe", so it became a myth that only "default.pfe" would ever be loaded.

One good way to diagnose this is to create a Display with a big FactoryTalk Diagnostic window object on the PanelView. When it tries to run the things that link to KepServer, there will be some kind of diagnostic message that might provide useful information.

I thought for sure that they finally fixed that, but it certainly was an issue when the products were released.

When FTView Studio created the Runtime file, it grabbed the Kepserver file that was pointed to by the "Default File Path" field in Kepserver, rather than requiring you to select the *.pfe file or selecting the one that was currently active.

90% of the time that was still configured for the file named "default.pfe", so it became a myth that only "default.pfe" would ever be loaded.

One good way to diagnose this is to create a Display with a big FactoryTalk Diagnostic window object on the PanelView. When it tries to run the things that link to KepServer, there will be some kind of diagnostic message that might provide useful information.

Ken:

Yeah, I hope it did get fixed at some point. Last time I did this was in version 5.10.
Figured out the changing path thing the hard way back then.

Here is an update on my situation. I verified that Factory Talk was pulling my default.pfe file and still no luck. I looked in the diagnostics screen and I noticed it had failed to load the TI-505 Serial Driver (in which i wasn't using for this project but there is a channel with that driver being used in my kepserver config.) I went into Windows system configuration on the panel view and checked the serial driver as well as the ethernet driver. Since then it has been working.

Thanks all for the comments.

Does anyone know how to add a tag with Kepserver 5.19 which uses Modbus TCP/IP and
move a floating register into a PLC register.I cannot go from the Webmaster to our micrologixs 1400 as I cannot get it to communicate.The webmaster uses Modbus Registers
and I have tried everything to make the PLC talk to the Webmaster.I can get the data
from the Kepserver.I just want to take 1 register and transfer it into a PLC reg via factory talk if possible.