Yaskawa ASR-tuning

Hi guys, Long time lurker, first time poster.

As a little info, I have a background in industrial controls and electronics for over 5 years now, but I am starting to move to the engineering side of the room compared to my last 4 years of mostly breakdown work. So I will likely post a lot, as I like to learn. I would rather become good at this and have a less stressful life, than struggle and live with anxiety of my job.

Anyhow, I have an elevator type application where I cannot auto-tune the ASR (automatic speed regulation) of a Yaskawa A1000 drive. It is in Closed Loop Vector control. The application was setup for the drive to hold a center position (process moves off of 0V reference run back towards the 0V, while on 0V you're simply holding the 0V at whatever current it takes).

Well, I ended up settling on setting up the two different ASR constants (Gain and integral time). One for high speed (over 10hz) and one for low speed (under 10hz). The constants are close, but a little more gain and a little lower integral time for over 10hz speed regulation.

ASR P gain 1 = 53
ASR I time 1 = 0.421 seconds
ASR P gain 2 = 48.65
ASR I time 2 = 0.495 seconds

How do I know when it is tuned to the best performance? The process is doing well, but I'm getting oscillations occasionally. If I turn down the gain, the oscillations settle out, but the response time suffers too much. Same with the integral time, but up instead of down. I try to keep the current to a minimum, but the current spikes during the oscillations.

Also, I can hear the drive making a clicking noise, which appears to be happening when it is switching between forward and reverse while near the zero reference. Sometimes at several or more clicks per second. How bad is this?

I simply do not want to shorten the life of the motor, or let the process sag. What are my options?

Last edited:
Could the clicking be a relay set to zero-speed sensing?

As I recall, they have a 'hold zero position' or similar function. Can you use this to hold when you have a window of +/- 1% or so speed reference?

I believe you are correct, that the clicking is from a contact set to be closed when the drive output is at zero-frequency. We are not using that at the moment for anything, so I will change it to something that will operate the contacts less frequently.

After looking through the parameters and the descriptions, I believe it has that option under b1-05. I'll set the minimum frequency around 1 hz (not super critical to be dead on the 0 reference, but it has to respond to changes in the reference quickly), and for any reference less than 1 hz it will set the frequency to 0 hz and hold zero speed.

I greatly appreciate the insight! I will be trying this out whenever the next downtime occurs and can have a few minutes to ensure it will respond correctly.

Sometimes it helps to stop looking at what you think the issue is and look at it from another point of view. I've already had to do that once when I was commissioning the drive! (I was dragged in last minute for the update after the ancient tech bit the dust)

Just for anyone curious, I found the main cause of my problems with the "tuning" not responding like it should during all aspects of operation.

It was in fact a default parameter setting that was adjusting the output trying to regulate the DC bus before an overvoltage happened. Well, there is a DB on it due to the nature of the machine, so I turned this off to let the DB handle the bus voltage like it is suppose to.

Just for anyone curious, I found the main cause of my problems with the "tuning" not responding like it should during all aspects of operation.

It was in fact a default parameter setting that was adjusting the output trying to regulate the DC bus before an overvoltage happened. Well, there is a DB on it due to the nature of the machine, so I turned this off to let the DB handle the bus voltage like it is suppose to.

Doing this allowed me to stop trying to compensate for the sluggish reactions I was getting sometimes (due to the drive trying to stop the motor from generating too much) and drop the Proportional gain, but still have a fast enough response to error with a changing setpoint.

Has been running okay ever since. I could get the tuning even better still, but production is impatient (y)