RIO Scanner Stopped Working After PLC Download?

JoelAspinall

Hey All:

I'm just wondering what your thoughts are on the following. I have a 1746-SN RIO Scanner that suddenly stopped working after we powered down/powered back on the PLC and did a download in order to recognize a new non-flex AO Card that we added.

The "COMM" light on the 1746-SN is flashing red since we did this download and was wondering if you have any advice?

Thank you very much

just a guess - but try this ...

go to the I/O Configuration feature ... select the SN module ... select Advanced Configuration ... Edit the G-data ... this should take you to a chart showing the four racks of I/O available to the module ...

I'm GUESSING that the check-marks on this chart have all become "unchecked" during your programming/downloading operations ...

if so - try referring to an older "working" copy to see what settings were used before - and that might help you get going again ...

if that doesn't help, then consider posting your ENTIRE program file (RSS extension) ... you'll have to zip it first (forum rule) ... maybe we can help you spot the problem ...

good luck with it ...

just a guess - but try this ...

go to the I/O Configuration feature ... select the SN module ... select Advanced Configuration ... Edit the G-data ... this should take you to a chart showing the four racks of I/O available to the module ...

I'm GUESSING that the check-marks on this chart have all become "unchecked" during your programming/downloading operations ...

if so - try referring to an older "working" copy to see what settings were used before - and that might help you get going again ...

if that doesn't help, then consider posting your ENTIRE program file (RSS extension) ... you'll have to zip it first (forum rule) ... maybe we can help you spot the problem ...

good luck with it ...

Hi Rob

That's exactly what happened actually. When I go offline to the processor and open up the advanced config -> Edit G-Data everything appears checked. But when I am online that checkmark disappears.

The configuration for the module matches the backed up version of the program as well. We even tried downloading the old copy of the program but with no luck.

Please see the attached .RSS if you have any ideas.

Thanks a lot!

cW12H4I.png

Last edited:
assuming (gosh I hate that word) that everything else (except the remote I/O) is working - you might try this ...

while ONLINE with the processor - save the program ...

then go OFFLINE from the processor ...

go back to the G-Data screen and set the checkboxes to match the setup from the "old" working copy ...

then DOWNLOAD the program to the processor ...

cross your fingers - and see if that works ...

NOTE: somewhere along the way (in the recent past) you probably saw a pop-up that said something like "Special Configuration found - do you want to keep it?" ...

you should have said "yes" - but you probably said "no" ...

that mistake is what usually clears all of the G-Data settings ...

good luck ...

NOTE: I'm offline until late Sunday - but other members can probably help if this doesn't fix the problem ...

assuming (gosh I hate that word) that everything else (except the remote I/O) is working - you might try this ...

while ONLINE with the processor - save the program ...

then go OFFLINE from the processor ...

go back to the G-Data screen and set the checkboxes to match the setup from the "old" working copy ...

then DOWNLOAD the program to the processor ...

cross your fingers - and see if that works ...

NOTE: somewhere along the way (in the recent past) you probably saw a pop-up that said something like "Special Configuration found - do you want to keep it?" ...

you should have said "yes" - but you probably said "no" ...

that mistake is what usually clears all of the G-Data settings ...

good luck ...

NOTE: I'm offline until late Sunday - but other members can probably help if this doesn't fix the problem ...

Ron:

I appreciate the reply once again. You are right - this pop-up did come up but I am certain I clicked yes because all of the G settings are still there and they match what is in the older backed up version of the program.

The only thing that strikes me as odd is that when we are online and look at the G settings, the Group 0 checkmark is unchecked. But when we look at it offline it is checked.

Thanks again for your thoughts and hopefully someone else can chime in at this point.

when we are online and look at the G settings, the Group 0 checkmark is unchecked. But when we look at it offline it is checked.

everything else being equal (it seldom is) then you need to DOWNLOAD a "properly checked" version of the program TO the processor ...

specifically, you can't change the G-Data configuration while you are ONLINE (going by memory here) - so you need to "fix" the settings while OFFLINE - and then do a DOWNLOAD ...

this time I'm really offline - traveling with family ... good luck ...