Kinetix 300

codedRed

I have a Kinetix 300 drive that I want to use to disable a servo (without a break) when the safety circuit is broken. It's for a feeder ring that I would like to allow to be spun freely when a door is open... I can't intercept the "Drive enable" signal to the drive because then it faults, also I tried putting a relay before the Safe-Torque Off controls and that gave a major fault to the drive that I couldn't reset. I also don't have the ability to put a relay after the drive and before the motor..

Any suggestions or input would be appreciated.

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/2097-um001_-en-p.pdf

Last edited:
I have a Kinetix 300 drive that I want to use to disable a servo (without a break) when the safety circuit is broken. It's for a feeder ring that I would like to allow to be spun freely when a door is open... I can't intercept the "Drive enable" signal to the drive because then it faults, also I tried putting a relay before the Safe-Torque Off controls and that gave a major fault to the drive that I couldn't reset. I also don't have the ability to put a relay after the drive and before the motor..

Any suggestions or input would be appreciated.

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/2097-um001_-en-p.pdf

It sounds to me like you need to rewire your Hardware Enable signal; this is normally the 24v release from you safety circuit, however without going into too much detail you WILL need some form of safey circuit to monitor this device if it is to be operated during the guard door being opened (something like a speed monitor), I dont know about US Legislation but a machine I worked on recently allowed a max safe speed of 100RPM.

Once you have your Hardware Enable/ STO and your 400V mains; you should be good to go.

From memory; when I commisioned a Kinetix 350 system- there was a lot of confusion surrounding the STO wiring in the manual.

You should be able to examine your drive status bit to see of your STO is truly working xx.DriveEnableStatus.

Regards

Daniel

Last edited:
Is this servo drive hardwire controlled or Ethernet/IP through a PLC?
What fault do you get when you try to disable the Kinetex 300?

If I understand correctly, you want to stop the drive then disable it as straight up disabling causes a fault. There are safety relays which include time delay contacts. You may be able to tie in the immediate contacts to your stop input and the time delay contact to your enable/STO input to do what you want to do.

Last edited: