Is my DeviceNet and Ethernet/IP impression correct?

kittydog42

I am having a little trouble finding much useful information here. Keep in mind I have no experience with either DeviceNet or Ethernet/IP.

From what I have learned, DeviceNet uses a 4 or 5 wire connection that has two power wires, two CANbus wires, and a shield. Ethernet/IP obviously uses ethernet. I have a spec that indicates that my panel must be able to be controlled via one of these two protocols. I am guessing that if I choose DeviceNet, I will be a slave device.

I intend to use a SLC500 PLC, so what would you recommend from a cost or feature basis between these protocols? Is Ethernet/IP built into the SLC500/05 chassis?

The last thing I will have to figure out is the message format. Hopefully that is not too difficult for either one.

What exactly do you need to do with the SLC500? DeviceNet is generally used to bring IO into the SLC. Ethernet has been used to connect the SLC to a computer or other controllers, altho there are IO modules out now that will use ENet. How much IO do you have, and how far is it from the controller? You're correct about the DeviceNet wiring; however, you're limited in the current that the power wires can carry and the network architecture and power supply placement has to be considered for large systems. Give us a little more info tho on what you need to do.

rsdoran said:
For information on either look at www.odva.org

Of course, I looked there first. It did not tell me much about practical application.

I saw some examples today at the CAOTM, and I think that I will be going with CompactLogix over the SLC500. I am only going to provide an Ethernet/IP interface to the building. The bulk of the data will be outgoing status information, although there will also be some input, such as a setpoint and an enable command. I am not going to provide a DeviceNet interface as it seems that having both would be unnecessary, and I know that the plant is wired for both.

I was going to say "You need to go talk to Ken Roach at the Rockwell CAOTM event up in Lynnwood."

Glad you could make it to our little tradeshow. I'm teaching the DeviceNet class in the afternoons.

Slc5/05

I could be mistaken, but I believe that you cannot hang Ethernet/IP I/O off the ethernet port on the SLC5/05. It is used for peer to peer ethernet messages or HMI communications.