You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old July 18th, 2016, 05:16 PM   #1
Robomah
Ireland

Connected Components Workbench Question ref JSR instruction

Hi Guys,

I'm confused about the program flow in connected components workbench there appears to be no JSR instruction so with multiple programs do they just flow top to bottom in sequence ??

It may be a stupid question but I am confused !! any help appreciated
Old July 20th, 2016, 07:27 AM   #2
gclshortt
Canada

The JMP instruction is used with the LBL instruction to jump over sections of code. See the following url:
https://www.courses.psu.edu/e_met/e_...rgflo/jmp.html

The following thread will explain the subroutines:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=71987

Regards,
Old July 20th, 2016, 04:11 PM   #3
Robomah
Ireland

Thanks Gary
Old July 20th, 2016, 06:26 PM   #4
brendan.buchan
Australia

I don't have my laptop with me right now but I don't believe there are JMP and LBL instructions in CCW? That example in the link is for RSLogix 500.

Which is a good thing, because JMP and LBL instructions are a good way to make your program a nightmare for anyone to fault find.

There is no need to call any programs in CCW, they are called automatically in the order they are shown in the program list.

If you need to call a piece of code multiple times under specific conditions you can look at making it a UDFB which is like an AOI in Logix 5000.
Old July 20th, 2016, 09:16 PM   #5
damica1
United States

There are JMP & LBL instruction in CCW.

I do agree with making a "User Defined Function Block" they will make your program much more efficient and easy to follow.
Old April 26th, 2017, 05:53 PM   #6
danno4200
United States

There are JMP and LBL instructions. The jump instruction is in the toolbox list (at least for ladder diagrams) and to insert a LBL you right click on the rung you want to add it to and choose "add label" and proceed to name the label which can then be called by JMPs added elsewhere.

I do agree, though, that it is good practice to mostly avoid using JMPs. It is hard to find good documentation on CCW. I have been somewhat confused myself with what the best structuring choice for programming is. Such as; making one long main program as opposed to splitting it up into separate programs. I'm sure scan cycle time is still affected by these choices. Also, I have been having trouble properly implementing my ladder designed UDFBs for some reason. I do, however, like the tag based system used in CCW. I'm still in the process of figuring everything out in my PLC and HMI machine project I started a couple weeks ago,but it's coming along. It's a big learning curve for me coming straight from RSLogix to this.
Old March 2nd, 2018, 05:10 PM   #7
JeremyAdair
United States

Bah

Anyway after searching for an hour in the USER MANUAL AND NOT THE HELP I found the section you were recommending. I hope this will help my fellow googlers.

Make a user defined function block and give it the subroutine name.

Cut all of the code out of the main program and paste it into the function block code.

Go back to the empty main and on rung 1 open the toolbox and click on instruction block.

Scroll down and your "subroutine Name" will be in there.

BOOM!

It tells you this in that manual the dude kind of mentioned.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum