RSView ME, Linx 2.4, and OPC

rta53

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm hoping Ken Roach will see this post because he has worked with these issues.

Ken and others,

I saw your post on the RSView ME forum addressing the issue of using OPC and RSLinx 2.4 with RSView Machine Edition. For better or worse I have recently jumped into using PanelView Plus and ME. I tried to connect to a SLC 5/05 using the RSLinx 2.4 OPC server. The ME manual plainly describes how to do this and I assumed it would work. I can browse the tags in the processor but when I try to do just one numeric display and do a test run all I get is stars on the display and the program freezes for a long time. I usually end up having to stop the program and reboot. If I use a direct connection using RSLinx Enterprise it works fine. The first time I called RS tech support the technician I spoke with said I should be able to do OPC with no problem. He told me to reboot first before I tried it and give him a call back if it did not work. Well when I called back I did not get the same support person and the second support person I spoke with seemed much less sure OPC would work with ME 3.1. My local Rockwell distributor said he had never done OPC with ME so he really couldn't help me. RS tech support was supposed to call me back and give me an answer about this but they never did. I called them again and spoke with a 3rd support person who told me maybe the 2nd guy was still trying to get an answer for me. Rockwell is usually pretty good with their support and the cost is not cheap, but I am somewhat dissapointed with them about this issue.

I recently used a PV+ 1500 and a SLC 5/05, and they did work. Its been a few months now, so im working from dusty memory; but, I did NOT use opc for in the rslinx. The real problem was setting up the enterprise edition on the PV. Just because you were able to set it up and communicate from Studio doesnt mean it would work on the actual PV. I wish I could remember more. But, the point is they will work, they just need configuration. Why are you using OPC?

I certainly hope I don't have problems connecting a SLC to a PV+. OK here is what I was trying to do. The 5/05 is actually located in our facility so I was just using it to test the OPC and ME conection. It is networked to a PC running RSView32. What I originally wanted to do was as follows:
We have a customer with a PV1000 and SLC 5/04 to which is connected a Remote Access modem. I have successfully used RSLinx and Excel to monitor the system using a dial-up connection and OPC. If I had the time I could develop a project in RSView32 that would allow me to monitor this system graphically. But what I had hoped to do was import the PanelBuilder project, which is already developed, into RSView ME and then run the project in ME station on my PC. Furthermore I wanted to connect to the 5/04 via modem and do an OPC connection using RSLinx. Well Linx Enterprise doesn't even have any modem drivers as far as I can tell. I quickly gave up trying to get this to work and just wanted to see if OPC would work at all in ME.

Rockwell calls this new platform ViewAnyWare. It may be AnyWare but it's definitely not everywhere yet.

Ah, so your trying to avoid doing it in RSView32 and use MEs ability to convert old PV programs. So the real goal is to have it available on your desktop, not hook an actual PV+ to the 5/05. Unfortunetly I did not use OPC with ME. Sorry.

My impression of ME was bad enough for us to black list PV+ for a while, and go back to RSView32 and Wonderware. It has many bugs in it. Thanks to rockwell using windows in the PV+ line, you now get crashes, lock ups, blue screens of death (yea, I LOVED seein the BSOD on a panelview), and all kinds of bugs. Paramater files dont always work, or they display the LAST parameter loaded, etc. Id avoid the PV+ line personally. Maybe v4 of Studio wont suck so much.

Oh, and its incredibly slow at times too, and rslinx enterprise does such a lousy job with its ethernet comms that plugging into a switch can bring a 100M ethernet to it knees.

Matt

The PanelView Plus / RSView ME system is definitely NOT ready for prime time yet.

We had two upgrades in the first six weeks of use. We kind of sort of got it to work, but there are still what I consider major screw-ups. You can't run a printer off the serial port. You have to buy a special unit (at a higher price) to use A-B's OWN PROTOCOLS DH-485 or DH+. If you have a DH-485 network with multiple PLCs, make darn sure you disconnect the PanelView Plus before you use RSLinx to conect your laptop for monitoring or program changes - the PanelView Plus locks up the RSLinx and it is reboot time! You have to go through an arcane back-up procedure if you want a safety copy of your screen on a server and a working copy on your laptop. And .....

And THIS is with a product two years late on its introduction. Rockwell really has to get the software guys out in the field and have them get beat up by users a little bit! They definitely have not caught up with the hardware guys in customer awareness.

I wish you luck.

Last edited:
You guys are really making me nervous now. I am getting ready to design a small control panel in which I had planned to use a PV+700 and a ML1200. I'm wondering now if I ought to switch to a standard PV600 instead. I am in NC and this panel will be going to MS, and it's a new customer. Usually our panels are not networked with any other PLCs but occasionally the customer will network to his SCADA system to do some data logging. Not sure what to do now and I'm the one who will have the egg on his face if it doesn't work.

Well, for what its worth, I did find the PV+ more useful than the old PV line. However, I also found that it is not a replacement for RSView32 (which is what I was trying to do (even with just a single machine)). If your not doing a large system, dont need data logging or recipies, and can avoid using the parameter files; the PV+ line will probally suit your needs. Dont forget to use the ML1200, you will need to get a PV+ with DH or DF1.

My old pain was just revived...
RSView ME is on my black list too. It makes me furious just
to think that I had to spend time and money to use it.
I do like some of the new features but they are so little
compared to instability problems.
This is supposed to be robust product for industrial use
and it's not - it's far from that...
If it has to be PV, then PV standard please (no RACs, PV+ or
anything that uses ME).

(n)

So is there anyone who has had a positive experience with RSView ME? I'm told that a lot of problems were fixed with the release of version 3.1 although there are still many unresolved issues. My original post had to do with using OPC with ME but I the project I mentioned earlier that is supposed to have a PV+700 and ML1200 is what is concerning me now. I plan to use a NET-ENI and an Ethernet Modem (9300-RADES) in order to dial-in to the ML and the PV. I wouldn't be as concerned if this panel was close by but it will be a thousand miles away.

I don't recognize the modem part number, but I would caution you to test the modem connection to BOTH the PLC and the PanelviewPlus before you ship it. In my experience A-B is very finicky about modem connections.

rta53 said:
So is there anyone who has had a positive experience with RSView ME?
I'm told that a lot of problems were fixed with the release of version 3.1
although there are still many unresolved issues.

That's what I heard when I was upgrading to version 2.
That's what I heard when I was upgrading to version 3.
That's what ...

(n) (n) (n)

I just hope that I won't have to deal with it until version 7 or 8.
Same happened with RSL5000 which had to grow to version 12 to
become half way decent product (and yes even here it still applies:
"version 13 will fix all unresolved issues"). They did skip some
versions in RSL5000 and assuming same trend, RSView ME version 8 will
probably become usable product.

Many companies feared they will be stuck with "old technology" after
raids of Rockwell Automation sales reps. They came waving glossy brochures,
praising the superiority of the new product lines and spelling doom
for SLCs and PVs.
Btw.
Two years ago I had plenty of projects where customers specified
HMI using ME. We do tons of work with the same customers all the time but
in the last year and a half I had only ONE project using same HMI.
...and thay made me reuse the hardware from earlier job because
customer doesn't want to get own hands dirty with it.
I cannot blame them.

You pay the premium price for the undeveloped product just to be become
unvoluntary tester for poor greedy Rockwell Automation.
Shame on Rockwell...

Last edited:
I wouldnt touch it till a whole new version number myself. Are recipes in there yet? Probally not. They werent in 2, and were promised in 3. And they arent. Considering how little HMIs change between versions, id still avoid it. Has anyone read the whats new doc from RSView 7.0? Here it is...

"
§ RSView32 can provide tags to FactoryTalk clients such as RSView Enterprise Supervisory Edition and RSBizWare software products.

§ RSView32 can provide diagnostic information consistent with FactoryTalk audit requirements. You can specify FactoryTalk as a destination when you set up activity logging.

§ The maximum tag name length has been increased to 255 characters.

§ Cursor key movements have been enhanced in the Graphic Displays editor. Shift-Arrow key moves the cursor (and selected object) 10 pixels in the specified direction. Ctrl-Arrow key moves the cursor (and selected object) 50 pixels in the specified direction.

§ The Database Import & Export Wizard supports importing and exporting derived tags.

§ The Database Import & Export Wizard is now available from the Project menu in RSView32.
"

Thats it?? A step from 6.4 to 7.0 for THAT? Why not call it 6.4.1?? Why not do something like intergrate retentive tags? Maybe intergrate many of the sub programs that are add ons that patched function holes?? A recipe sytem that isnt a joke maybe?? Maybe an easier way to designate on false and on true script launching? Nope, just some minor changes. BLAH. Oh well, sorry to go off topic....

Matt

RTA53, go ahead and post your original question in another thread if you want it addressed.

This thread can stay a "bash Rockwell/ bash RSView ME" thread if you want. I won't participate.

Guys, I work on RSView ME every day, and have been supporting customers with that software since the day it released. I've been through everything you mention, and more. So I don't really feel like re-hashing every software issue anyone has encountered in a public forum. If you want RSI to hear you, post on the RSI forum. Better yet, tell your RA salesman in person.

I use RSView ME 3.1 with RSLinx 2.42 OPC all the time and it works well on my machine. I have not used it with a dialup modem, or an Ethernet router modem yet.

Ken,

Thank you for replying. I certainly did not intend for this to be turned into a bash Rockwell topic. I have used AB/Rockwell products and services for years. I have a very good relationship with my local distributor. I was actually hoping to hear from you first since reading your post in the Rockwell forum. I will repost a condensed version of my original question.

R

Ken

I did talk with everyone I could get hold off every time
I find the problem. And the common response is plain
ignorance or incompentence (people not knowing the product).

Just to remind you from the yellow sheet titled
"Read this before upgrading from RSViewEnterprise 3.0 to 3.1":

Before installing the upgrade to 3.1 you have to uninstal
following:
1. Arena
2. RSAutomation Desktop
3. RS Bizware Batch
4. RS Bizware Batch Historian
5. RS Bizware eProcedure
6. RS Bizware Historian
7. RS BizWare Material Track
8. RS BizWare PlantMettrics
9. RS BizWare RSSQL
10. RS BizWare Scheduler
11. RS Linx
12. RS Linx Enterprise
13. RS Networx Prerequisite software
14. RS Networx for ControlNEt
15. RS Networx for DeviceNet
16. RS Networx for Ethernet/IP
17. RS View ME
18. RS View SE
19. RS View PE
20. RS Test Stand

Thank God it's not asking to remove prerequisite software for all
packages because that includes Internet Explorer - do you know
what it takes to convince Windows to give up on IE, MS messanger etc.?

Now isn't that something?

Just because you have to upgrade something from 3.0 to 3.1?

And so many incompatibiltes with software from same house?
What about guys like me who have to make living by supporting
10 different brands? How oft am I supposed to install/uninstal
something? Specially with Rockwell Software products, new
revisions popup like mushrooms after rain.

While ago when I was upgrading to ME version2, I had only simple
problem that it would not install at all. After weeks on the phone with
tech support, local AB rep sleeping in our offices and three
different computer this pest was finally convinced to install
on one of the desktop machines.
Not that desktop is most suitable thing to take on site
or that formating HDD and loaded barebone Win2000 version few dozen
times was fun, but it worked...
I remember that Rockwell Knoweledge base was listing
about 5000 different software packages incompatible with ME 2.0
including MS Office. WTF???

Last edited: