Powerflex 527 - Changing Firmware

Rob S.

Good Afternoon ,

I'm going to change the firmware on a Powerflex 527. I have a few questions .....

- Can I change the firmware while it is online ?

- The ControlLogix Logix that it is running off of is version 28. What is the
highest the Powerflex 527 can be flashed ?

- Also ,should I use the regular ControlFlash or ControlFlash Plus to flash this
?

- Also , I tried to use ControlFlash and could not locate and Powerflex Drives
in it's library . How do I drill down to the drive I'm looking to flash the
firmware ?

Thanks so much ,

In the RA Compatibility and Downloads Section, use the search terms "PowerFlex 527" and you'll find the firmware for 1.007, 1.008, 2.001 and 2.002, as well as the Add-On Profiles that match each.

https://compatibility.rockwellautomation.com/Pages/Home.aspx

I don't know the precise Studio 5000 minimum revision for compatibility with those AOPs. If it were me, I would likely be conservative and update only to the highest sub-revision for the current Major Revision that's running on the drive.

You can use either version of ControlFlash; I would stick with the ordinary classic ControlFlash and not try to get fancy. I also prefer to inhibit the I/O connection to the controller, or isolate the drive on a private network, when doing firmware updates.