OnLogic: Windows 10 IoT Enterprise 2019 LTSC Entry (Atom) & Logix 5000

AutomationTechBrian

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on my first purchase of OnLogic's Industrial Edge Computer to run Ignition Edge Panel. The PLC is a ControlLogix, with a 1756-L71S CPU, running version 20. It just occurred to me that this customer owns a copy of Logix 5000, version 20, with a USB dongle for the license... and it's not being used.

The customer has another, similar machine that initially had Wonderware installed on a PC (both the runtime and the full Wonderware package), and on that same PC, they also had Logix 500, which made edits and troubleshooting easy.

So it occurred to me that maybe I should get a little better computer and choose "Windows 10 IoT Enterprise 2019 LTSC Entry (Atom)" for the operating system, instead of Linux. I don't know what that version means for running the old Logix 5000, version 20 software. Will it be compatible? Does anyone have thoughts or experience with this?

This is my first time not using either a PanelView or Red Lion HMI. I might be over-doing some of the Industrial Edge Computer specs, but I don't want to have regrets... I don't mind being on the safe side. Here is what I'm thinking of ordering:

IGN100
Shared Product: Industrial Edge Computer with Ignition Software

Shared Configuration

Motherboard
Intel Apollo Lake N4200 Industrial Motherboard with Dual Gb LAN, NO FUNCTIONING AUDIO JACK

Memory
8 GB SO-DIMM DDR3L 1866

Primary Storage
Transcend MSA452T2 mSATA SSD - 128GB

Additional Storage
None Selected

Wi-Fi, Bluetooth or Extrovert 4G LTE Connectivity
None Selected

Wifi, Bluetooth, or Extrovert 4G LTE Antennas
None Selected

Optional COM Ports (Up to 2)
DB9 to 2.54mm IDC, AT/Everex - 200 mm

Mounting
DIN Rail Mounting Kit (Back)

Auto Power On
Auto Power On

Port Blocking Kit
Computer Port & Dust Blocking Kit (may not cover all I/O)

AC Adapter
Power Adapter DC 60 W, 12 V, 5 A - North American Power Cord

Operating System & Ignition Software
Windows 10 IoT Enterprise 2019 LTSC Entry (Atom) - 64 Bit with Ignition Edge

Assembly & Validation
Standard Build (ships in 3-5 business days from parts availability)

Warranty
2 Year Standard Warranty

Choose Ignition License (or Call for More Options)
Ignition Edge Panel

Some of the other models had long lead times right now (of course). This one seems readily available. But is it a good choice??? Any thoughts?

I don't know about the particular install of windows 10, but I have rslogix 5000 V20 on my win10 machine and it runs fine. I do have v20.04 though, I don't know what version they got.

I use 4 of the onlogic windows 10 pc in my industrial equipment.
Two of them run an sql data bases and the other 2 run visual studio applications using RSlinx OEM to talk to the PLC.

I have not had any issues with the Onlogic PCs, other than a power related issue on a new machine that they corrected with an overnight service.

None of the cabinets are cooled, and in the midwest it gets yucky.
I would use them again without hesitation.

Gad

Forgot to mention that I installed 20.04 on one of the onlogic windows 10 units and it performed just as good as my windows 10 laptop.
I only used it for a day or so while my laptop was being replaced, so i can not guarantee you will not have any issues.

I used 20.04 as well as 28, both worked.