rsview32, using newer version of works editor with older version of runtime

diat150

Lifetime Supporting Member
does anyone know if it is possible to make edits to a project file that is run on a older version of runtime using a newer version of works and then using that same project file in the older runtime again? to make a long story short I tried just adding text to a couple of the screens using that method and when I opened the project back up my screens wouldnt even open up. I am going to call allen bradley later today but just wanted to see if anyone knew or has ran into a similiar problem. the guy that i am doing this for swears that it should work and I am not as convinced since the version of works is a later version.

As in version 6.4 or earlier runtime and version 7.x works?

Can't do it. The 7.x version files are not backwards compatible.

Alaric said:
As in version 6.4 or earlier runtime and version 7.x works?

Can't do it. The 7.x version files are not backwards compatible.

exactly. I will call allen bradley this afternoon just to please them but I figured that was the case. he said it should be backwards compatible but like I told him, you cant typically go from old-new-old.

It is wise to keep the same version numbers between Works and Runtime, to stop any conflict from creating problems.

Problem would occur if the major revision number changed, say "ver 6" to "ver 7" a minor number change would probably work.

If the Graphics file name origionally existed in the run time project, the edited version of it should replace it, and then run.

Some times it may try to run the old version that it has stored in a cache file, so its sometimes neccessary to empty the cache files, this especially happens if a new graphics object is added using an existing tag.

I have found trends tend to be version dependant and may need resaved which then makes them version dependant.

My advice is run them on the same version.

I ran into this problem because in our European plants the latest version of RSView32-It was 6.3 but we were using version 7 here. I found my self swapping back and forth between which version I had installed on my laptop. New screens first developed in V7 had to be redrawn in 6.3. What a PITA.

Gil47 said:
It is wise to keep the same version numbers between Works and Runtime, to stop any conflict from creating problems.

Problem would occur if the major revision number changed, say "ver 6" to "ver 7" a minor number change would probably work.

If the Graphics file name origionally existed in the run time project, the edited version of it should replace it, and then run.

Some times it may try to run the old version that it has stored in a cache file, so its sometimes neccessary to empty the cache files, this especially happens if a new graphics object is added using an existing tag.

I have found trends tend to be version dependant and may need resaved which then makes them version dependant.

My advice is run them on the same version.

basically all I did was import the older version into the newer version of works, added the word "test" onto two screens and then tried opening the project file in the older runtime. When I did that the screens that I added the text to would not even open up. I tried opening the same project file in the newer runtime and it worked properly. any suggestions?

Alaric said:
I ran into this problem because in our European plants the latest version of RSView32-It was 6.3 but we were using version 7 here. I found my self swapping back and forth between which version I had installed on my laptop. New screens first developed in V7 had to be redrawn in 6.3. What a PITA.

I believe that is the same version we have, maybe 6.4 instead of 6.3. for the works we have the latest which came as part of the automation toolkit, I think version 7. I have the version numbers and will post them later on.

ok. I the older runtime is version 6.4 and the newer version of works is 7.3. I just spoke with allen bradley and they said it would not work like what we suspected.