Final Year Project

Cassidy

As I enter my final year in a college controls programme we were given a project to build and programme a machine that completes a task. I’ve been lucky enough to be working for an company in the automation industry that is willing to donate an AB 500 series plc, a panelview 600 and some other materials I could use for this project (I have an electrical crib and maintenance crib at my disposal pneumatics electrical components all that fun stuff) I’m trying to think of tasks that are original. In the past students have done pneumatic can crushers and similar machines. Anyone have any suggestions for a project of this sort?

As I enter my final year in a college controls programme we were given a project to build and programme a machine that completes a task. I’ve been lucky enough to be working for an company in the automation industry that is willing to donate an AB 500 series plc, a panelview 600 and some other materials I could use for this project (I have an electrical crib and maintenance crib at my disposal pneumatics electrical components all that fun stuff) I’m trying to think of tasks that are original. In the past students have done pneumatic can crushers and similar machines. Anyone have any suggestions for a project of this sort?
I don't think I've ever seen one, so my vote goes for a PLC controlled
Trebochet! Extra points if it's big enough to require a permit for highway travel.Mikey

A variant on the classic can crusher would be to set up a conveyor or drop chute and feed it different kinds of beverage containers, to make an automated sorter.

Use different sensors to determine the nature of the container:

An inductive or conductive sensor to tell conductive containers from non-conductive ones

A photoeye sensor to tell the difference between transparent and opaque ones.

A spring or scale sensor to detect heavier (e.g. glass bottle) containers.

Combine the sensor inputs to decide to do something different with each type; crush an aluminum can, pull a steel can off with a magnet, blow a paper cup off with an air blast, and use an opposite air blast to blow plastic bottles off another direction. Nudge glass bottles down a chute.

It's do-able with the usual sort of industrial sensors and actuators that you can DIY with a crib of pneumatics and other parts.

And it's an example of the sort of repetitive task that automation is good at.