PanelView communication switching between two PLCs

OK. I was thinking PV3 would be at a different location from PV1 and PV2; so I was suggesting a PV3 and a PV4, for PLC1 and and PLC2, respectively, at that remote location.

PV3 is remote from PV1/PLC1 and PV2/PLC2, but I would rather not add a PV4 just to link to PLC2. Perhaps I could have selected a PanelView Plus 7 Performance for PV3 but I expected I could find a somewhat elegant workaround to get PV3 to switch between PLC1 and PLC2, or use the VNC Viewer on PV3 to access PV1 or PV2. I have not done the VNC Viewer from a PV so I will be interested to see if/how it works.

Sorry, you mentioned you didn't want new project, but with that method you could also run the exact same project on all three panels.

The issue with the PV+7 Standard is that it can only link to one PLC at a time so having the same project on all three PVs would not work. One of the PVs would need to link to both PLCs.

The issue with the PV+7 Standard is that it can only link to one PLC at a time so having the same project on all three PVs would not work. One of the PVs would need to link to both PLCs.

ackh. PV+ 7 Standard can only have one PLC setup for comms.
It's the dumbest feature limitation I've ever seen.

Yes, you would have to use PVP+ 7 Performance to make the parameter switch trick work.

Or, have Program Launcher activeX switch projects and reboot the terminal.
You could use VNC to remote into the other PV1 or PV2.

Maybe FT ViewPoint works on the PV+ 7? I don't know. The other PanelViews can certainly be a FT ViewPoint server; to one client. That would give you your read-only.
But I haven't tried FT ViewPoint 9.0 from the PVP+ 7; Internet Explorer.

So you cant setup the panelview to have more than one device shortcut in it? We have a PV1500 that connects to five different PLC's. It has five different Device shortcuts and works great.

If your worried about having three different versions to keep up with just combine them all into 1 version and load that version on all three panelviews and then add a screen select button on the main load screen.

Last edited:
So you cant setup the panelview to have more than one device shortcut in it? We have a PV1500 that connects to five different PLC's. It has five different Device shortcuts and works great.

Yes, you can do that with a PanelView Plus (there actually is no software limit to PLC connections). But you can't do that with a PVP Compact nor with a PVP 7 Standard. Both of those versions have a 1 PLC limitation.

If your worried about having three different versions to keep up with just combine them all into 1 version and load that version on all three panelviews and then add a screen select button on the main load screen.

That works too; instead of using parameters.
It adds to the maintenance and development of screens, but that would get rid of the drawbacks with the parameter method.

This is a long overdue update to this post but the solution we ended up pursuing is using a PVP7 Performance unit as the third OIT. The Performance series has the ability to configure communication with more than one PLC and served the purpose. There were other solutions but this was expedient, albeit more expensive. Fortunately the Standard unit we purchased as the third OIT can be used on a different project.

This leads me to consider other manufacturers for our applications, namely Maple Systems. We used Maple Systems years ago but migrated away from them, I think because the PanelView units could easily use and access the PLC tag database directly from an A-B PLC project.

I have done about 30 mins of reading on the Maple Systems site and like what I have seen thus far. I am open to feedback on their units and those from other manufacturers if anyone is willing to give their two cents.

TIA,

This is a long overdue update to this post but the solution we ended up pursuing is using a PVP7 Performance unit as the third OIT. The Performance series has the ability to configure communication with more than one PLC and served the purpose. There were other solutions but this was expedient, albeit more expensive. Fortunately the Standard unit we purchased as the third OIT can be used on a different project.

This leads me to consider other manufacturers for our applications, namely Maple Systems. We used Maple Systems years ago but migrated away from them, I think because the PanelView units could easily use and access the PLC tag database directly from an A-B PLC project.

I have done about 30 mins of reading on the Maple Systems site and like what I have seen thus far. I am open to feedback on their units and those from other manufacturers if anyone is willing to give their two cents.

TIA,

Start a new thread for feedback reviews, you'll get a lot more comments. But I would be very specific about your list of what you want to hear.

Ex. List all the objects and features that you do use, and like about PVP. List the ones you do not like.
Exactly which model of PLCs do you plan to use? Which tag structures (program scope, UDT, strings, I/O, aliases, etc.)

Otherwise you just end up with a bunch of comments touting how great the HMI is that they use/sell; good for egos, bad for engineering.