Micrologix 1000

eyespyral

I am new to PLCs and have recently purchased a Micrologix 1000 (1761-L10BWA Series F). I have downloaded the RSLogix 500 and RSLinx Lite software from the Rockwell site, but am unable to establish communication between my PC and the Micrologix. I am using a 1761-CBL-PM02 cable for peer-to-peer communication using the DF1 driver, and I have set all the communication parameters correctly (the nodes match as well). My problem occurs when I try to go online; a message is displayed saying "Target node is not an SLC-500 or Micrologix controller". What am I missing? Can anyone help me? Thanx.

Last edited:
when you try the "Autoconfigure" button in the RSLinx DF1 configuration screen (as Jiri suggested), what message do you get? ... "successful" or something else? ...

can you see the MicroLogix processor when you browse RSLinx? ... if the answer is "yes" then the next question is: how are you trying to "go online"? ... the most reliable way is to go to the main menu at the top of the RSLogix500 screen ... click "Comms" ... then "Who Active Go Online" ... this should give you a browser in RSLinx ... navigate around through the icons and highlight the MicroLogix processor ... then cross your fingers and click "OK" ... note that using this technique will automatically "re-aim" the driver and node settings for you ...

The fault lies not within our stars, but with the version of the sky.

You have a brand new Micrologix? What about your RSLinx and RSLogix? What versions are they?

If you have an older version, the software may not recognize the PLC as a PLC because it's not on it's internal "list of things that I know how to program" - hence the error message "Target is not a Micrologix".

You can upgrade your RSLinx for free from AB.com (go to Support >> Downloads >> RSLinx >> RSLinx Lite.

If the problem is with your RSLogix..., well, you'll just have to shell out some bucks for an upgrade

eyespyral said:
and I have set all the communication parameters correctly (the nodes match as well

What nodes match?

When configuring the DF1 driver in RSLinx, did you set the "station number" the same as the processor? If so, that is a problem.

Thank-you for your responses. To answer all the questions:
The auto-configure fails to find the baud and parity. I cannot see the Micrologix processor when I browse RSLinx. I am using a new Micrologix 1000 (Series F) with RSLogix 500 (version 6.10.00) and RSLinx Lite (version 2.42.00). In configure driver, this is what appears: AB_DF1-1 DH485 sta:0 COM1:RUNNING. (I selected "RS-232 DF1 devices" from the available driver types). I initially set the station number to the same value as the processor node. When I changed the station number to another value and tried to go online, an error message was displayed, "Diagnostic status failed: 0x4". Any suggestions?

Last edited:
When I changed the station number to another value and tried to go online ...

after changing the station number, don't just try to "go online" ... instead, click the "Autoconfigure" button again on the DF1 configuration screen ... hopefully it will come up "successful" this time ...

Target node is not an SLC-500 or Micrologix controller

on the df-1 driver under configure drivers make sure its set to SLC-ch0/micro/panelview
station 0
protocal full duplex

then because its a new micrologix Its going to look for a station ID name. create a new file in RSLogix select the correct model of micrologix controller under select processor type. click who active
at the select processor screen this will open up RSlinx. select the driver that you created.

Still no luck. I must be missing something. These are the driver configurations that are set up in RSLinx:
Comm Port: COM1
Device: SLC-CH0/Micro/PanelView
Baud Rate: 9600
Station Number: 0
Parity: None
Error Checking: CRC
Stop Bits: 1
Protocol: Full Duplex

In RSLogix, in System Communications, the settings are:
Driver: AB_DF1-1
Route: local
Processor Node: 1
Last Configured: AB_DF1-1 Node 1d local
DTL32.DLL ver 2.42.18.0
WDRV32.LIB ver 2.20.118.01
Comms Path: (blank)

In Communications, in Who Active Go Online, the following appears at the bottom of the screen:
Server: RSLinx API
Driver: AB_DF1-1
Type: Not a PLC, SLC, or CL

When I double-click Controller Properties:
Processor Type: Bul.1761 Micrologix 1000 DH-485/DHSlave
(This is the only available processor type)

Do these configurations seem correct?

Last edited:
first of all: exit RSLogix500 completely ... turn it OFF ... then work to get RSLinx set up so that it (RSLinx) can properly see the MicroLogix ...

basic idea: if RSLinx cannot see the MicroLogix, then RSLogix500 absolutely can NOT see it either ...

next thing: are you using a "real live" serial port or one of those USB adapters? ... most of those will not do an "autoconfigure" correctly ... if you're using a USB adapter, do a search on this forum for some ideas as to what's involved in getting one to work ...

next thing: are you sure that your computer's serial port is ok? ... some computers (especially IBM Thinkpads) are shipped from the factory with the serial port turned off in the power management controls ...

next thing: is anything else in your computer's setup using the serial port? ... example: a modem that you've used before and forgotten about ...

When I double-click Controller Properties:
Processor Type: Bul.1761 Micrologix 1000 DH-485/DHSlave
(This is the only available processor type)
Where do you do this ? In RSLogix ? Or RSLinx ?

The strange thing is that my "normal" RSLogix500 has both a "ML1000" (with DF1), and a "ML1000 DH-485/DHSlave" selection.
But I cannot find any ML1000 with DH485 ports in the product catalogue. So I am mystified as to where the "DH-485" comes from. It could be connected to your problem.

At least as far as a MicroLogix 1200 is concerned, the communication port by default speaks DF1 but can be changed to the DH485 protocol. I don't see in my notes that the 1000 can do the same but in any case it doesn't require a different physical port, just the protocol it's speaking. In the Micrologix1200 case the ELECTRICAL connection is RS232 but with 2 different protocols.

I agree with Ron, first things first. Lets just get the comms working with Linx. You should, if the comm port is right, just connect the cables, power the PLC, goto linx, pick RS-232 df1 devices, pick autoconfigure, and your done. Since this is not working, it is most likely your comm port.

Tell us about your PC. Is it a desktop? Is it a real serial port or is it an adapter? Is it enabled in BIOS? What is the IRQ and memory access of the comm port in the bios? Are those addresses used by another comm port? Do you have other comm ports in use (palm pilots, serial mouse, etc). Can you disable all the comm ports but the one your using? The cable could be bad too.

There error you saw " Target node is not an SLC-500 or Micrologix controller" was because you had the target set to node 0 which was the RSLinx node, which is, in fact, not a ML.

matt

Derek,

- make sure your COM port number is correct and if the COM port
is working correctly - it might be used by some other program
(for example
try to setup hyperterminal connection to other com port and
see if you can type in one window and see same stuff in another).

- start rslinx only. Once connection is made, you will be able to browse in RS Who and see icon of the PLC.
The cable you use is correct one. if autoconfigure doesn't work
and unit is not brand new, maybe it has the port
configured for something else. In that case you have to reset it
to factory defaults.

- only after RSLinx is able to communicate with the unit, you should
start the RSLogix500 and try to go online.

I still don't see what versions of the RSLogix and RSLinx you have...