burn ethernet pc card while connecting to ml1400 parralle with a serial cable.

Jeff23spl

Do this happened to any of you ?

I just succeeded connecting a ml1400 true a new XPmode VM by the means of ethernet. I used a direct cable from pc to plc. I then tried the serial port with a nul modem cable but i didn't removed the ethernet cable. Was not aware of any danger to do this at that time...
As soon as i connected the db9 on the plc, an error flag showed up on my laptop telling an ethernet cable was removed. ..I though maybe the cable just came loose while moving them...But no, the ethernet card just stoped working.

I rebooted, tried to re-install eth card drivers and made tests on the host part (not the VM) but no luck.
The card is recognized but doesn't see any cable connected to it. Tested another working network with no luck so i concluded that i need to mess with a usb to ethernet dongle to keep using this machine.

Whatever you did, was probably because of bad wiring on the serial cable.

The Ethernet ports are all magnetically isolated (if they conform to the specification). Serial ports aren't. You are probably lucky you didn't fry more than just the Ethernet hardware.

no the plc was on my desk just for testing the connection so only power was hooked up to it at the right place. Both cable was genuine factory made cables used manny times before without issues. This is the reason why i ask because i was not aware of any possible issues of doing it.

At worst, line and neutral may have been reversed with the use of a 2 pin 120v plug but i'm not sure, i unpluged it before i figured out the card was fryed. You know the kind of quick test we do often to test something specific without messing with details because it usually never cause any issues.

If it was the serial port, i could imagine a kind of ground loop thru cable shield back to laptop power supply but not for the ethernet card....

I can't explain what happenned

How about the ground? was it connected when you moved it?

Sounds like a static/ground issue (just a wag)

Happened to me with a ML1100, same scenario. Bought off ebay and came out of the box with a fault flashing, tried 11 ways to sunday to get the ethernet to work. Ended up flashing new firmware and now it works like a charm. Went from Ser. B FW9 to FW 14.

I have seen issues like this when powering the PLC and the laptop with different AC sources. The solution is to run the laptop off its battery only.