compactlogix ethernet messaging?

dginbuffalo

Hello- i need to move 5 words of data from 1 PLC to another on the same ethernet network. i've never done this with RS5000 and compactlogix (only on the PLC5). do i set up an ethernet bridge in i/o configuration and then a generic CIP module to pull the info in? and then use a MSG instruction set to CIP generic? not sure the easiest way to do this. it is not a srious time critical move eaither. suggestions?

Are they both a CompactLogix or ControlLogix? If so setting up a Producer/Consumer connection might be better.

also, to do a msg you dont need to add the devices into the i/o configuration and if you are doing a logix to logix (compactcompact or controllogix), you want to use CIP data table read for reading. Produced/consumed is a better way to go but has its disadvantages (aside from setting it up if you are new to it) like you have to download to make most changes to your produced and consumed tags and to set them up.

Setting up Producer / Consumer is in my opinion the best way to go if you are sending data between Logix platforms. In Logix 5000 on the Start Page there is a section How Do I under the Tags, Data Types and Other Data section there is a Video Produce and Consume a Tag. I would suggest watching this. I was able to set up connection following the steps with not too much trouble

having trouble with network

Im doing the same thing, the produce and consume(compactlogix) looks easy but the network, I can`t see the other plc in the I/o configuration. when I Right click and try devicemodule/ discovery everything has eds warning or unrecognized profiles
It doesn`t have a established connection, with the other plc (slc500) but the links shows it

You can't do produced/consumed tags between a compact logix and an SLC500. Only processors on the Logix platform (i.e. programmed with RSLogix 5000, rather than RSLogix 500) can do this. If you need to communicate from CompactLogix to SLC500 you will need to use explicit messaging (MSG instruction).

I believe there are also restrictions on firmware, I don't think the early versions of firmware supported produced/consumed tags. But don't quote me on that.

Just FYI, if you ever do try to set up produced and consumed tags between Logix PLC's, you have to manually add the other PLC to the "tree" in the RSLogix 5000 project - it doesn't pick it up automatically.

I don't think the early versions of firmware supported produced/consumed tags.

Wait.. I just quoted you on that. Ignore the quotes. It's a citation.

ControlLogix has supported Produced/Consumed Tags since the very first releases.

At the beginning, these were only done across the backplane and across ControlNet network links.

With the introduction of EtherNet/IP cyclinc messaging with the 1756-ENET Series B and 1756-ENBT modules, Produced/Consumed Tags became commonplace across Ethernet networks as well.

Ken Roach said:
Wait.. I just quoted you on that. Ignore the quotes. It's a citation.

I'm editing the Wikipedia page with my faulty information as we speak, and linking the claim to this page for a citation ;)

Yes that's correct when I looked it up version 10 and higher on slc505 can do messaging that's what I started out doing, got confused with tags as we started looking into that also
I will start looking to manually add PLC

There's a Wikipedia page for Produced/Consumed Tags ?

I doubt it. Sorry, I have to remind myself occasionally that my Australian sense of humour doesn't always translate to other cultures. Gets me into trouble with multicultural operators sometimes too ;)

I was more having a dig at this concept: http://xkcd.com/978/

Anyhow, sorry to derail the thread, hopefully the OP has it under control now! :whistle:

also, to do a msg you dont need to add the devices into the i/o configuration and if you are doing a logix to logix (compactcompact or controllogix), you want to use CIP data table read for reading. Produced/consumed is a better way to go but has its disadvantages (aside from setting it up if you are new to it) like you have to download to make most changes to your produced and consumed tags and to set them up.

You are the second person to say that using Produced/Consumed tags is "better" than using explicit messaging. Why is it better? It is obviously less versatile, if online changes cannot be made. Are there not circumstances in which explicit messaging is "better"?