Hello and maybe a daft question! Slc5 backup/verification prob

coxy134

First hello to everyone 🍻

Right as for the daft question.........

My company has a policy that we must verify our PLC's programme every couple of years.

Few days ago as per company protocal I start up RS500 using a backup file, connect across network, go online (providing verifcation accepts)and then do a save as then date our files as thus.

e.g (plcname)_(version number)_(date)
e.g PUMPCONTROL_V1.0_180919

Monday I connected to a PLC with an image file dated 160316, did "a save as" using above naming protocol, did not upload or download, ticked yes to save data values and saved as 160919.

Tuesday went online using the filed saved as on Monday (160919) and came up saying files did not match?
Tried the old file 160316 and went online no probs.

compared both files and only difference were data tables?

Did a "save as" once again while online and saved as 170919, went back online and all ok??

Have I done something wrong that mondays file would not work on Tuesday?
Done this hundreds of times no issue!

Thanks

I have seen weird things in SLC's where online backups don't match.

I have had this happen when I download a new project to a SLC5/05 that I change the IP on, after a successful download & save, then cycle power to the SLC so the IP changes, it will force me to do an upload to go online saying the files don't match. This happens almost every new 5/05 project.

It could be as simple as the file was saved again after going offline and somehow the checksum got changed. Maybe a line was clicked on and now it thinks it was edited and different. Different data wouldn't trigger a mis-match, as production counts, speeds, temperatures, timer acc's, etc would be different every time you go online.

Seems other engineers in our company have had similar issues and also put it down to an IP problem.

One engineer simply goes online for verification, does not perform a save as but disconnects then renames the file.

One engineer simply goes online for verification, does not perform a save as but disconnects then renames the file.

If all your company is looking for is file verification that would do.

However, I find it better to do an online save to get the current data files - including recipes, times, parameters, enabled options, etc.