intrinsically safe power

hiren gajera

Hi ,

Is any person know about intrinsically safe power supply?
I have to give power to HMI & pressure x'meter wich are at hazardous area.
Is it possible to convert normal 24v dc power supply (Phonix trio) to Intrinsically safe power?

Thank you.

Last edited:
It is not uncommon to see a standard power supply in the safe area used with an Intrinsically Safe (I/S) barrier for each I/S rated field transmitter, because the analog input the field transmitter connects to is in the safe area, and the power supply powers more than one field transmitter and the whole 2 wire concept lends itself to such.

Every I/S power supply I've ever seen states that it must be installed in a safe area, not a hazardous area. It sounds to me like you want to put a power supply in the hazardous area. The power supplies I've seen in hazardous areas are in explosion proof housings, so intrinsic safety is not an issue; the protection is provided by EXP.

Is your HMI really rated I/S ?