Virtual PC control

Txema

Hi!

I need to control a PC in remote control from another PC through the internet. Does anybody know how to do it?

Somebody told me about a VNC software but i don't know how to use it and how i have to configure both PCs.

Thanks in advance!

I believe if you have Win2K or WinXP you can use remote Desktop, which is built into the operating system. I had this set up on my work desktop by our IT guy and it works pretty slick. It's pretty sluggish if you don't have a relatively high-speed connection, though. I tried it with dial-up and it was absolutely painful. There are some pretty good descriptions of how to set this up in the WinXP help files, as I remember

The other option is something like PCAnywhere from Symantec. I have never used this personally but I have seen it used very effectively.

Sorry, but I don't have any general pointers for you. If you have specific questions about Remote Desktop I MAY be able to help.

Keith

Do a google search for VNC, tightVNC or realVNC. There are a few of them. It lets you control one computer from another and it's free.

Moin Txema,
moin all,

I have used VNC and PC Anywhere in the past and tried the remote XP desktop recently. I would always choose VNC, even for a much higher price.

Friedrich

At

http://www.geocities.com/alpha_productions2/tutorials.htm

Isa tutorial on sending data over TCP/IP.

I hope to use this to allow two Visual Basic Programs to talk to each other and send data. One program is logging data coming in on a Serial Data input and the other computer needs to look as if its receiuving the same data.

I am sure the same principal could apply to a PC connected to a PLC.

The relavent Turtorial is attached.

PC control

The question here is control what?.. Simple access to files or run
a program on a remote machine, or use the remote PC as a server.
Telnet is a terminal program that is secure and easily set up. Secure is the key here. Log in, access files, and run a program, no problem. No it is not graphical. You have to know the command structure. Not a big deal. If you want graphics then remote desktop and VNC are best. VNC is "virtual network computing", and has little protection. It is rated "10" (scale 1 to 10 ) on easiest to Hack.
Every "How to on hacking" deals with this and how to access these boxes. "Hacking Exposed" by Mclure and Kurtz explain how to hijack a windows box with VNC. Passwords are stored in the registry. They can be decripted with programs like vncdec. Remote desktop is not a good idea for full time internet connections.
If your just moving files, use FTP.

Accessing files, running programs, use Telnet.
If you want graphical interface use VNC but follow these guides for your passwords

1) Use at least 10 characters.
2) Mix numbers and letters.
3) Never use combinations that are parts of a number set.
like prime numbers, fabonicci sequences or magic square combinations.
4)Make sure the letter combinations are not found in any dictionary.

Even with this you will be hacked... but at this level, most people will not be destructive, just nosey, they want to know whats on your box. They download pictures, read text files and just snoop. The idea is to make it hard enough to keep the kids off your box.

I use Linux as a chaching proxy, with 5 Windows boxes behind it. When I get hacked, they only see the Linux box. Someone downloaded last years christmas pictures I had on the Linux box. No big deal, hope they enjoyed them. Maybe they thought There was a nude picture or it was a famous person. Boy they must have been disappointed. My dog was the only nude. I can access my windows machines from the internet. I must enable the daemon to use it, I never allow it to run all the time.
A word of wisdom here... "if it is simple to set up and access, you will be hacked in under 24 hours." In most cases people do not know they have been explored. You need software that tells you what was running when, and who was running the application. Windows has no real good logs of these events. Even the servers, if the log daemon is enabled, can be easily compromised, it is possible to delete the log files.
Dont be afraid to try others. Just shut your computer down when you are not using it.
Computers are fun.... Experiment and try new things. Just be warned, you may have to rebuild your computer after a learning episode.
:) :)
Bruce

don't know much about this but couldn't a firewall like zonealarm be set to only accept a connection from the other pcs specific ip address?

also, not to get too OT and i'm almost scared to ask - what is a fabonicci sequence?