"Cheap" HMI's that are worth the development costs

I primarily use Delta and haven't had any problems with the software or hardware.
I have used Maple on a few systems as well, no issues there.

I'd say the Delta development software is easier to use in terms of the basic layout functions, but the Maple software has a better macro setup. I'm pretty sure the hardware is from the same manufacturer so I haven't noticed any difference in appearance or speed

I've used and love Maple Systems.

The EZScreens from EZ Automation are ok. They have an affordable outdoor HMI I mostly use them for.

Allen Bradley screens are nice but overpriced.

The lower-end Siemens screens are garbage. We use them often (due to spec) and many times I have to press the screen 2-3x's to get a button to work.

I have only used Weintek and allen bradley for HMI's. Advanced HMI is free if you are comfortable with text-based solutions. The I'm very happy with the Weintek, though I think the documentation is a little lacking, and doesn't give enough detail. If it wasn't for this forum I would have been screwed. I got it from genius here on the forums.

There are a lot of distributors of roughly the same hardware. Maple, KEP, etc are all Weintek HMI's. I Would like to try C-More and the easyHMI's, but I don't get to do enough controls projects. I generally just do electrician's work.

There are a lot of distributors of roughly the same hardware. Maple, KEP, etc are all Weintek HMI's.

If KEP are in the mix, you have to give some credence to Wieintek.

Commercially you've got to love the pricing.

Technically, there may be some challenges to overcome, (and that's the same for any brand of HMI), but you can build an effective HMI that works for you. I don't think you will find the perfect HMI in the low-cost market. Having said that, I don't think you'll find the "perfect" HMI at any price.

Originally posted by daba:

Having said that, I don't think you'll find the "perfect" HMI at any price.

Truer words have seldom been spoken!!

I have used both the Maple Systems and C-More HMIs on different projects. IMO C-More is a more polished solution that provides for a nicer looking application. But it is probably twice the price of a Maple Systems equivalent. I haven't had a chance to really get deep into the "add-ons" with Maple Systems. For example, I think my "nicer looking" comment would be tempered a bit if I spent the time to develop some libraries.

As was said before, the Maple Systems scripting is pretty powerful if you are into that kind of thing. It provides for a lot of behind the scenes hooks into about anything you want to get at.

The biggest thing lacking from the C-More is an alarm handler. Not having that is a little painful.

Keith

If all your doing is displaying data with some user clicking/touching buttons. Then why not a cheap touch screen that accepts HDMI and use a RaspberryPi with Node-Red?

It has a lot of nodes for PLCs and OPC-UA. You would prolly be in for everything at less than $300