1336-WB035 Braking Chopper on a Powerflex 700 VC

Jasondelane

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm installed a Powerflex 700 in place of a 1336F drive, but I'm still using the 1336F braking chopper with a same brake resistors. On the Powerflex 700, theres a parameter for choosing an external resistor. Would this be selected only if I'm using the Powerflex as it's own chopper and wiring the resistor to BR1/BR2? Since I have the 1336 Chopper wired into DC+/- on the Powerflex should I have the DC Bus Reg Mode A/B set to Dynamic Brak with external resistor type?

You are doing something out of the ordinary here, so unless someone here has done the same thing, it's not likely you will get what you need. Try calling the Drives Tech Supprt line, there is someone there who will know or find this answer.

For the first drive we've installed I've left the same brake resistor installed. I set Par. 161 to 0 - None, Par. 163 to 1 - External, and Par. 155 to 1- Ramp. This was based on KB 508407 and 453806 and a chat with RA Tech Support.

I've got a guy coming out tomorrow to quote enclosures for the 7 drives we're retrofitting and he's bring a drive guy with him. I'll ask him about the resistors to make sure everything is good. As long as I can keep the 1336 chopper and just swap out the big resistor I think it should be ok.