Anybody have a good Control System Incident Report

JaxGTO

Anybody have a good Control System Incident Report?
I keep getting report with information like 'it stopped working' well WHAT stopped working.

I'm thinking of a list like:
1. Describe what happened on the screen.
2. Who did you call.
3. What did you do to attempt to get it working again
4. What were the state of the lights on the PLC, Comm module or IO racks.

Thanks, Jack.

IMO, the more you give them to fill out, the less information you will get.
Ain’t nobody got time for that.

Call codes could help you while keeping it short and sweet for the operators/techs.

Line ID: MXR1 (Mixer 1)
Assembly ID: GB1 ( Gearbox 1)
Issue: OH ( Overheat)
Cause: LL (Low Oil)
Action: FLL (Fill)

You would get a notification of:
MXR1-GB1-OH-LL-FLL

Very simple example, but you can create as many codes as needed. Just don’t use obscure codes like “759BB” to mean “shorted wire”. Meaningful abbreviations are best.

Many years ago a colleague and myself developed a program on palm top organisers for the engineers as the fault reporting system took up too much time and was often ignored or the faults miss-reported. The program was designed so that the engineers would all have a palm on shift and we configured them with drop down lists for example Area, line, Minor Plant, Fault type, etc. and a field for repairs carried out. These were then downloaded to a pc to create the shift report. Even then we would get reports of faults on a cooker (location Kitchen) reported as (location Packing) and comments as re-started boiler (location in boiler house), even though we tried to make it simple by giving them the drop downs they still got it in a mess ;)

there is no cut and dry formula.
I would ask the following

was the machine working before you started your shift
was this process a new part setup.
did the machine working in manual
was the machine I the home position when you pressed the start button
was the machine running when you started your shift
WAS MAINTENANCE done before your shift or during your shift.
what was the process doing when the machine stopped.

you must be a detective and ask lots of questions in a nice way, listen to their answers
that will give you a idea of what was going on.

we have machine log books for each machine, any maintenance done is written into the log book.
an I/o goes bad, a sensor is changes, guard removed to replace even a bolt is documented. program change and why, timer,counter....
the more in the log book, the more information you have to troubleshoot with.

a sensor was bypassed on the previous shift on a fan blower bending machine
and it was documented. they didn't look at all the logic. the sensor was used to reset the cycle. that documentation saved a 12 hour production shift. I looked at the backup logic and put the sensor back in. system running.

james